Solving for Angular Velocity: Steel Block on Rotating Table

In summary, a 500 g steel block attached to a 2.0 m long massless rod rotates on a steel table with a thrust force of 3.5 N exerted by compressed air through the rod. The nozzle is at a 70 degree angle from the radial line, resulting in a net force pointing 20 degrees from the tangential velocity towards the inside of the circle. Starting from rest, the block rotates 10 revolutions. By taking into account the frictional force and using the equations of motion, the angular velocity after 10 revolutions is 6.63 rad/s.
helpppmeee

Homework Statement

A 500 g steel block rotates on a steel table while attached to a 2.0-m-long massless rod. Compressed air fed through the rod is ejected from a Inozzle on the back of the block, exerting a thrust force of 3.5 N. The nozzle is 70 degrees from the radial line, so that the net force created by the nozzle points 20 degrees, from the tangential velocity, toward the inside of the cirlce . The block starts from rest. What is the angular velocity after 10 rev?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found the acceleration along the tangential velocity, used the equation; xF = xI + vI*t + 1/2(a)t^2, where xF and xI are the final and initial displacements, respectively (vI[initial velocity] is clearly zero). xF = 20*pie*radius and i found the time it takes to make 10rev. I then took the total radians in 10 rev (20*pie) and divided it by the total time. i got 10.something rad/s where the answer is actually 6.63rad/s. I also found the centripetal force after those 10 revs and tried to do the same thing, again got the same answer. helpp pleeeeasee!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The nozzle is 70 what from the radial line?

70 degrees

bumpity bump bump (mid term in 2 hours. Desperate for help!) i made the question somewhat clearer

OK - so I did the problem out, using the method you tried, and got the 6.63 rad/s answer.

Can you show all your work, so I can see where you went wrong?

My initial guess is that you: didn't include the frictional force of the steel on steel and/or neglected the angle of F. But I'm not sure.

i used t = sqrt(126/3.3) [3.3 being half the acceleration] then w = (20*pie)/t

I have no idea how you came up with those numbers, as 3.3 (what?) is nowhere near either the angular or tangential acceleration.

And 126 (again, what?) doesn't correspond to anything I can think of, either.

You NEED to show all your work, as you've apparently made at least one rather large error.

sorry about that i figured u knew what i was doing with the xF = xI + vI*t + 1/2(a*t^2)... the vI is zero, so i substituted 126m (the circumference of 10 revs) into xF. The force i found was Ft[force along tangential velocity]=3.5cos(20)... I did not factor in a frictional force after this (my error). I then took that force and got a tangential acceleration of 6.6m/s^2. I then substituted this into the xF = xI + vI*t + 1/2(a*t^2) equation and solved for time. After finding the time it takes to make 10 revs, i took the total angle in rads and divided it by the time it took to make those revs w = (2*pie*10)/t. I tried it once more with the friction factored in pointing in the opposite direction of tangential acceleration and i still didnt get the correct answer (6.6rad/s)

Last edited:
OK, so I see where you got 3.3 from before. But, that's not your acceleration - that's the amount of Force in the tangential direction. You'd need to plug that into the sum(F) = ma equation, to get your acceleration. That seems like it's where you went wrong. And, yes, you'll have to use the coefficient of kinetic friction for steel on steel. If it's given (should be, or at least in a table in your text), use that. Otherwise, it's generally accepted as 0.6.

t^2 = xF/((1/2)*a) where a = 6.6... Factoring in friction i get a net force of 0.36N in the tangential Velocity direction. i solve for t (sqrt(xF/((1/2)*0.72)) which is 18.7s. 18.7*0.72=velocity, which is 13.5 m/s. (Fnet)r = (0.5*13.5^2)/2 = 91N... 91N/(0.5*2) = w^2... sqrt that and i get 6.74... what am i doing wrong?

helpppmeee said:
Factoring in friction i get a net force of 0.36N in the tangential Velocity direction. i solve for t (sqrt(xF/((1/2)*0.72)) which is 18.7s. 18.7*0.72=velocity, which is 13.5 m/s.

That much is correct. There's an easier way to do it, where you can obtain the velocity without calculating t (v^2 = (v_0)^2 + 2a(xF - xI)). But your method works, too.

But I'm not sure why you tried to do this... Yes, it uses centripetal acceleration, but there's a much easier way to do it, at this point.

(Fnet)r = (0.5*13.5^2)/2 = 91N... 91N/(0.5*2) = w^2... sqrt that and i get 6.74... what am i doing wrong?

If you know the linear velocity and the radius, you can simply plug those numbers into the equation w=v/r. Using your answer for v, you get a slightly different value for w, but that's just because of rounding intermediate answers. Really, what you did here works - and I think it's just a matter of rounding, as 6.74 ~ 6.63.
I'll post how I did it, next.

Given
m = 500g = 0.5kg
r = 2.0m
n = 10 rev
F = 3.5N
Θ = 70 degrees
mat'l = steel on steel => μ = 0.6
v0 = 0
s0 = 0

Objective
ω

Procedure

FN = W = m*g = 0.5kg*9.81m/s2 = 4.905N
Fapplied = F*sinΘ = 3.5N * sin(70°) = 3.29N
Ffriction = FN * μ = 4905N * 0.6 = 2.94N
s = n * 2π * r = 10rev * 2πrad/rev * 2.0m = 40πm

ΣF = m*a => (Fapplied - Ffriction) = m*a
Rearranging => a = (Fapplied - Ffriction) / m
a = (3.29N - 2.94N) / 0.5kg = 0.7m/s2

v2 = v02 + 2*a*(s - s0)
v2 = 02 + 2 * 0.7m/s2 * (40πm) = 175.8276m2/s2
v = sqrt(175.8276m2/s2) = 13.26m/s

ω = v / r = (13.26m/s)/(2.0m) = 6.63 rad/s

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object rotates around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the speed of rotation, while linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the center of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians or degrees) by the change in time. The formula is: angular velocity = change in angle/change in time.

4. What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity include the distance from the center of rotation, the mass of the object, and the applied force or torque. These factors can either increase or decrease the angular velocity.

5. How is angular velocity used in real life?

Angular velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as measuring the speed of rotating objects in machines, calculating the rotation of planets and stars, and understanding the movement of objects in sports like gymnastics and figure skating. It is also important in engineering and physics for understanding rotational motion and designing structures that rotate.