Angular Velocity On Pulley After Variable Force

In summary, the problem involves a pulley with a rotational inertia of 1.1 10-3 kg·m2 and a radius of 23 cm, acted on by a force that varies over time as F = 0.50t + 0.30t2. Using the equation T = AI, the angular speed can be found by integrating the force function with respect to time and using the formula \omega-\omega_0=\frac{r}{I}\ \int_0^{\,4} F(t) dt. However, multiplying by time is incorrect and the correct calculation yields an angular speed of 8698 rad/s.
Jshumate

Homework Statement

A pulley having a rotational inertia of 1.1 10-3 kg·m2 about its axle and a radius of 23 cm is acted on by a force, applied tangentially at its rim, that varies in time as F = 0.50t + 0.30t2, where F is in Newtons and t in seconds. If the pulley was initially at rest, find its angular speed after 4.0 s.

Homework Equations

(I'm having trouble with Latex so excuse my non-greek)
T = AI
(net torque= angular acceleration*rotational inertia)
w = at
(angular velocity = angular acceleration*time)
T = rF
(torque = length*force)

The Attempt at a Solution

w = (T)(t)/I
rFt/I = w

I assume I have to integrate the force function over the period of time. The integral of F(t) from 0 to 4 = 10.4.
(10.4 N)(0.23 m)(4 s)/(1.1 10-3kg·m2) = w
w = 8698 rad/s

But this is incorrect. I am not sure how to handle this with the variable force being applied.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jshumate said:

I assume I have to integrate the force function over the period of time. The integral of F(t) from 0 to 4 = 10.4.
w = 8698 rad/s

why did you multiplied by the time?

ehild

Jshumate said:

Homework Statement

A pulley having a rotational inertia of 1.1 10-3 kg·m2 about its axle and a radius of 23 cm is acted on by a force, applied tangentially at its rim, that varies in time as F = 0.50t + 0.30t2, where F is in Newtons and t in seconds. If the pulley was initially at rest, find its angular speed after 4.0 s.

Homework Equations

(I'm having trouble with Latex so excuse my non-greek)
T = AI
(net torque= angular acceleration*rotational inertia)
w = at  dw = a·dt You will need to integrate this.
(angular velocity = angular acceleration*time)
T = rF
(torque = length*force)

The Attempt at a Solution

w = (T)(t)/I  dw = ((T)/I)·(dt)  
rFt/I = w  (rF/I)(dt) = dw

w = 8698 rad/s

But this is incorrect. I am not sure how to handle this with the variable force being applied.

Some corrections in red above.

[tex]\omega-\omega_0=\frac{r}{I}\ \int_0^{\,4} F(t) dt[/tex]

I don't think this is the integral you did.

No idea why I multiplied by time, thanks guys. :D

I would approach this problem by first making sure that the units are consistent. The force should be in Newtons and the time in seconds, but the units given in the problem statement are not clear. Once the units are confirmed, I would use the equation T = rF to calculate the torque on the pulley at each time point, and then use the torque to calculate the angular acceleration using the equation T = AI. From there, I would use the equation w = at to calculate the angular velocity at each time point and then use the equation w = w0 + at to find the final angular velocity at t = 4 seconds, where w0 is the initial angular velocity (which is zero in this case).

Alternatively, I could use calculus to solve this problem by integrating the force function over the time interval of 0 to 4 seconds. This would give me the total change in angular momentum, which I could then use to find the final angular velocity using the equation w = L/I, where L is the angular momentum and I is the rotational inertia.

In either approach, it is important to clearly define the units and carefully apply the equations to ensure an accurate solution. Additionally, I would double check my calculations and make sure my assumptions are correct. If I am still having trouble, I would consult with colleagues or reference materials to get further insight and understanding.

What is angular velocity on a pulley?

Angular velocity on a pulley refers to the rate of change of the angle of rotation of the pulley over time. It is typically measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity on a pulley affected by variable force?

The angular velocity on a pulley is directly proportional to the applied force. As the force changes, the angular velocity will also change.

What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity on a pulley?

The linear velocity of a point on the pulley is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius of the pulley. In other words, the faster the pulley rotates, the faster the point on the pulley will move along the circumference.

How is angular velocity calculated on a pulley?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle of rotation by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity of a point on the pulley by the radius of the pulley.

What factors can affect the angular velocity on a pulley?

The angular velocity on a pulley can be affected by the applied force, the mass of the pulley, the friction between the pulley and the rope or belt, and the moment of inertia of the pulley. Other external factors such as air resistance or external forces can also affect the angular velocity.