Angular velocity of airplane propeller

In summary, the problem involves an airplane propeller with a length of 2.08 m and a mass of 117 kg. When the engine starts, it applies a constant torque of 1950 N*m, resulting in an angular acceleration of 46.23 rad/s^2. To find the propeller's angular speed after 5.00 revolutions, the formula v = w*r can be used, where w is equal to 2*pi*frequency. The calculation is analogous to solving for speed in a problem involving constant linear acceleration.
lollypop
here is the problem:
An airplane propeller is 2.08 m in length (from tip to tip) and
has a mass of 117 kg. When the airplane's engine is first started,
it applies a constant torque of 1950 N*m to the propeller, which starts from rest.
-What is the angular acceleration of the propeller? Treat the propeller as a slender rod.
For this part i got 46.23 rad/s^2 finding first I=(1/12)ML^2
and then plugging that into acc angular = torque/I

What is the propeller's angular speed after making 5.00 rev?
-for this part i get confused, am i supposed to use
5 rev "per min". i used the formula v = w*r where
w= 2*pi*frequency, but it is not right.
can anyone direct me to the right formula??
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint

Remember the problems you have solved with constant linear acceleration g? In that case, if you were asked how fast an object was moving after it had gone a certain distance, you would first use the fact that x=(1/2)gt^2 (if initial position is zero and initial velocity is zero) to solve for t, given some position x. Then you would substitute that value of t into v=gt, and you would have your answer.

The angular acceleration procedure is very much analogous.

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is Angular Velocity of an airplane propeller calculated?

The angular velocity of an airplane propeller is calculated by dividing the number of rotations or revolutions per unit of time by the circumference of the propeller. This can also be calculated by multiplying the linear velocity of the propeller by the radius of rotation.

3. What factors affect the Angular Velocity of an airplane propeller?

The angular velocity of an airplane propeller can be affected by factors such as the speed of the aircraft, the size and shape of the propeller, and the air density. The material and weight of the propeller can also have an impact on its angular velocity.

4. How does the Angular Velocity of an airplane propeller affect the flight?

The angular velocity of an airplane propeller is directly related to the thrust and lift generated by the propeller. A higher angular velocity can result in greater thrust and lift, allowing the aircraft to achieve greater speeds and altitude.

5. Can the Angular Velocity of an airplane propeller be changed during flight?

Yes, the angular velocity of an airplane propeller can be changed during flight by adjusting the throttle or power of the engine. Pilots can also change the pitch of the propeller blades to alter the angular velocity and performance of the aircraft.