Anirudh's Apostol Calculus Problems thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a calculus book and the difficulty the individual is having with a particular problem. They mention using integration by parts and share a solution they found using this method. They also discuss a function with a unique property and provide a question related to its integral.
WiFO215
Some time back I made a thread saying I would be buying a calculus book. I ended up buying Apostol as the Indian edition is only 6$. I have made a thread about this because I can see that there are going to be lots of problems I cannot do and I haven't a solution manual.

1.[tex]\int[/tex] (a2 - x2)ndx

2. I am supposed to use integration by parts to do this sum.

3. Using integration by parts,

x(a2 - x2)n + n[tex]\int[/tex]2x2(a2 - x2)n-1

But he gets a different answer which is

[x(a2 - x2)n + 2a2n[tex]\int[/tex](a2 - x2)n-1 dx ]/ 2n+1 + C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HOW did you do the integration by parts? What did you use for u and dv?

U = (a2- x2)n
V = x

I missed an n in the original equation after the integral. OK. Now what?

OK. I worked backwards and solved it. But keep this thread open. I shall post any other exercises I have problems with.

A function f, continuous on the positive real axis, has the property that for all choices of x>0 and y>0, the integral
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{xy}_{x}[/tex]f(t)dt
is independent of x (and therefore depends only on y). If f(2) = 2, compute value of integral A(x) = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{x}_{1}[/tex]f(t)dt for all x>0

1. What is "Anirudh's Apostol Calculus Problems thread"?

"Anirudh's Apostol Calculus Problems thread" is a popular online forum where users can discuss and solve calculus problems from the textbook "Calculus" by Michael Spivak and "Calculus" by Tom Apostol.

2. Who is Anirudh and what is their role in the thread?

Anirudh is the creator and moderator of the "Anirudh's Apostol Calculus Problems thread". They are responsible for organizing and managing the forum, as well as providing challenging calculus problems for users to solve.

3. How can I participate in the thread?

To participate in the "Anirudh's Apostol Calculus Problems thread", you can simply create an account on the forum and start solving problems. You can also post your own problems for others to solve and engage in discussions with other users.

4. Are the problems in the thread suitable for all levels of calculus students?

The problems in the "Anirudh's Apostol Calculus Problems thread" range in difficulty from basic to advanced, so there are problems suitable for all levels of calculus students. However, some problems may be more challenging and require a deeper understanding of calculus concepts.

5. Can I use the solutions provided in the thread for my own assignments or exams?

The solutions provided in the "Anirudh's Apostol Calculus Problems thread" are meant for learning purposes and should not be used for assignments or exams. It is important to solve problems on your own to fully grasp and apply calculus concepts.