What Is the Correct Calculation of Lift Force for an Ascending Helicopter?

• Thread starter jrbillbrian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the lift force exerted by the air on a helicopter with a mass of 2090 kilograms that is accelerating upwards at 3.13 meters per second per second. The formula F = ma is used to determine the force, but the initial attempt of 6541.7 N is incorrect. It is then clarified that the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8 m/s2 and the lift force must be enough to counteract the weight of the helicopter and produce an acceleration of 3.13 m/s2. The correct lift force is calculated to be 13940.3 N.
jrbillbrian

Homework Statement

A helicopter with a mass of 2090 kilograms accelerates up at 3.13 meters per second per second. What lift force is exerted by the air on the propellers?

m = 2090 kg
a = 3.13 m/s/s

Homework Equations

F = ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Force = 2090 kg * 3.13 m/s/s = 6541.7 N

Which is apparently incorrect, then I thought I might have read it wrong and I tried -6541.7, which is also wrong. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Did I forget to factor something in?

Physics news on Phys.org
What would be the lift force if the helicopter were just hovering?

2090 kg * 9.8 ( 9.8 N in 1 kg)
= 20482 N?

Or would it just be 0? I'm very confused.

20482 N is correct.

Ftotal = Flift + mg

The lifting force pushing up on the propellers must be of equal to the weight of the helicopter in the opposite direction as gravity when it hovers (when Ftotal = 0).

So what would the lifting force be if it accelerated upwards as your original question stated?

Ftotal = Flift + mg
Ftotal = 6541.7 N + 2090 * 9.8?
Ftotal = 27023.7 ?

I'm just so confused.

jrbillbrian said:
Ftotal = Flift + mg
Ftotal = 6541.7 N + 2090 * 9.8?
Ftotal = 27023.7 ?

I'm just so confused.

Two points here:

1.) Acceleration due to gravity (g) is -9.8 m/s2, you forgot that it's negative since it acts downwards.

2.) The acceleration of the helicopter is cause by the total force acting on it, not just the lifting force.

So what force would the lift have to be so that the total force accelerates the helicopter upward at 3.13 m/s2?

so 6541.7 N + (2090 kg * -9.8)
= -13940.3 N

So you would need 13940.3 N?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured using the unit of Newtons (N). This unit is derived from the fundamental units of mass (kilograms) and acceleration (meters per second squared).

3. What are the different types of force?

There are four main types of force: gravity, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of force include tension, friction, and normal force.

4. How does force affect motion?

Force can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change direction. It can also affect the speed and acceleration of an object.

5. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.