What is the relative velocity of a canoe on a river?

• Thread starter bichz33
  • Start date
In summary, the canoe has a velocity of 0.490 m/s southeast relative to the earth while the river is flowing at 0.510 m/s east. Using the formula for vector addition, we can find that the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river is 0.383 m/s. As for the direction, we can think of the resulting motion of the canoe as being produced by the motion of the river and the rower's direction of rowing. This forms a triangle, and the vector sum of the last two mentioned gives the resultant velocity vector.
bichz33
A canoe has a velocity of 0.490 m/s southeast relative to the earth. The canoe is on a river that is flowing at 0.510 m/s east relative to the earth.

a)Find the magnitude of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river.

b)Find the direction of the velocity of the canoe relative to the river.

a) Okay for this i used [tex]\vec{V}_\textrm{(boat/earth)} = \vec{V}_\textrm{(boat/river)} + \vec{V}_\textrm{(river/earth)}[/tex] and then subtract the Velocities of the boat and river relative to the Earth to equal the velocity of the boat relative to the river so i just used the formula sqrt(A^2+B^2-2ABcos(45)) and got .383 which is the right answer but is there another way to get that answer.

b) and for b i have no clue how to get this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the resulting motion (velocity) of the canoe as being produced by that of the river and of that of in which direction the rower is rowing it. These three velocity vectors form a triangle, that is the vector sum of the last two mentioned gives the resultant velocity vector.

Thanks I got it

1. How does the weight of the canoe affect its stability?

The weight of the canoe is directly related to its stability. The heavier the canoe, the more stable it will be in the water. This is because the weight creates a lower center of gravity, making it less likely to tip over. However, if the canoe is too heavy, it may become difficult to maneuver and may be more susceptible to strong currents or winds.

2. Can I use a canoe in rough waters?

While canoes are generally designed for calm waters, some can be used in rougher waters with proper precautions. It is important to choose a canoe with a good balance of stability and maneuverability for the specific water conditions. Additionally, it is recommended to have experience and proper training before attempting to use a canoe in rough waters.

3. How many people can fit in a canoe?

The number of people that can fit in a canoe depends on the size and weight capacity of the specific canoe. Canoes can typically fit 2-3 people, but some larger canoes can fit up to 4-5 people. It is important to always check the weight capacity and follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maximum number of occupants.

4. What is the difference between a canoe and a kayak?

While canoes and kayaks are both small boats designed for paddling, there are some key differences. Canoes are typically open-top boats and are propelled with a single-bladed paddle, while kayaks have a covered deck and are propelled with a double-bladed paddle. Canoes also tend to be wider and have a higher weight capacity, making them more suitable for carrying gear and multiple passengers.

5. How do I transport a canoe?

Transporting a canoe can be done using a roof rack or a trailer. It is important to securely fasten the canoe to the vehicle using straps or tie-downs to prevent it from shifting or falling off during transport. It is also recommended to use a safety flag or bright tape to increase visibility of the canoe while on the road.