Calculating Free Fall Distance from Time Interval Using Kinematic Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a body in free fall and attempts to find the height from which it fell. Different formulas and equations are considered, and ultimately the solution is found by substituting values and solving for the unknown variables. The conversation also addresses any potential mistakes or complications in the solution process.
astenroo
Another free fall topic :)

Here I don't really know where to start

Homework Statement

A body in free fall covers 64% of the total distance fallen in the last second. From what height did it fall?

Homework Equations

y= y1 + y2, where y1=0,36y and y2=0,64y
y=.5at², where a=g=9.8 m/s²

and this is where I get stuck. In a tv-diagram it would be a straight line from origo, and the area under the line gives the distance fallen. And I'm still stuck. Utilizing the y=.5gt² would give me a parabola, and the area under the curve would give me the velocity with which it hits the ground, but I'm not sure whether that would help me much either.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Suppose that the total distance fallen is h, and that tf is the total falling time.
Then you can fill in your formula for two time instances, namely tf and (tf - 1), for example:
h = (1/2) * 9.81 * tf
(where * stands for multiplication) and another one for t = tf - 1.

This will give you two formulas with two unknowns (h and tf) which you should be able to solve for.

CompuChip said:
Suppose that the total distance fallen is h, and that tf is the total falling time.
Then you can fill in your formula for two time instances, namely tf and (tf - 1), for example:
h = (1/2) * 9.81 * tf
(where * stands for multiplication) and another one for t = tf - 1.

This will give you two formulas with two unknowns (h and tf) which you should be able to solve for.

Ok, so

(1) h=1/2gtf² and
(2) 0,36h=1/2g(tf -1)² => h=13,61tf² - 27,25tf + 13,61 substitution into (1) which gives
8,71tf² -27,25tf + 13,61 => tf = 2,50s or 0,624s (can be ruled out since it doesn't make any sense)

tf = 2,50s gives h=1/2g*2,50²=30,625m. I wonder if I made this one too complicated...

Looks all right to me, except that I cannot clearly make out if you actually used (tf - 1)² = tf² - 2 tf + 1
rather than
(tf - 1)² = tf² - 1

Indeed the time interval < 1 second can be ruled out on physical grounds here.

I don't know if this is too complicated, it is the way that I would have done it though.

CompuChip said:
Looks all right to me, except that I cannot clearly make out if you actually used (tf - 1)² = tf² - 2 tf + 1
rather than
(tf - 1)² = tf² - 1

Indeed the time interval < 1 second can be ruled out on physical grounds here.

I don't know if this is too complicated, it is the way that I would have done it though.

I used (tf - 1)² = tf² - 2 tf + 1, which should be the correct way.

Thanks for the help
-alex

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity. This means that the object is not experiencing any other forces, such as air resistance or friction, while falling.

2. What is the acceleration of a free falling object?

The acceleration of a free falling object is always equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that every second, the object's speed increases by 9.8 m/s.

3. How does mass affect the rate of free fall?

The mass of an object does not affect the rate of free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate at the same rate due to gravity. However, objects with larger masses will have a greater force of gravity acting on them, causing them to fall with a greater force.

4. Does air resistance affect free fall?

Yes, air resistance does affect free fall. As an object falls through the air, it experiences air resistance, which is a force that opposes its motion. This can cause the object to fall at a slower rate or even reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity and the object stops accelerating.

5. Can free fall happen in a vacuum?

Yes, free fall can happen in a vacuum. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance or any other forces acting on the falling object, so it will experience true free fall. This is why astronauts appear to be weightless while in orbit, as they are essentially in a state of constant free fall around the Earth.