1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another method? - Matrix & Linear Independence

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    Question :
    Let A be a 7 × 4 matrix. Show that the set of rows of A is linearly dependent.

Answer:
    The row vectors of a matrix are linearly independent if and only if the rank of the matrix is equal to the number of rows in the matrix.
    Since rank (A) = 4 , and the number of rows in the matrix is 7, the row vectors are linearly dependent.

I am sure that my answer is right, but I was considering or wondering if there was an alternative method, because the actual answer is worth 4 marks, so was wondering if there was a more mathematical sound proof possible to prove the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The rows of a 7 by 4 matrix are members of R4 which has dimension 4- any set of more than 4 vectors must be dependent.

Your basic statement that a 7 by 4 matrix has rank 4 is NOT correct. The matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1& 1 & 1 & 1\\1& 1 & 1 & 1 \\1& 1 & 1 & 1 \\1& 1 & 1 & 1 \\1& 1 & 1 & 1 \\1& 1 & 1 & 1 \\1& 1 & 1 & 1 \\1& 1 & 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    does not have rank 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook