1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another method of solving integrals?

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\text {Find m such that }\displaystyle\int^m_4 \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x}}\,dx = .9[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\displaystyle\int^m_4 \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x}}\,dx = .9 \Rightarrow \displaystyle\int^m_4 x^{-3/2}\,dx = .9 \Rightarrow -2m^{-1/2} +2(4)^{-1/2} = .9 \Rightarrow m = \frac {4}{1.9^{2}} = 1.108[/tex]

If I plug this value back into the original integral, it comes out as [tex]-.9[/tex]. Should I solve this integral another way? Also, an extention of the problem is

[tex] \text {Explain why there is no number m such that} \displaystyle\int^m_4 \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x}}\,dx = 1.1[/tex]

It seems like that has to deal with convergence issues, something I'm just beginning to learn. Any hints for the first step?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check your numbers again, I get m = 400.

To do the second part, show that the integral is maximal if m=infinity, and show that the value of the integral in that case is less than 1.1.

4. Aug 14, 2008 #3

I don't know latex but that bold part is wrong (Addition mistake) I also get 20^2

You added when you should subtract

5. Aug 14, 2008 #4
    Thanks, in order to show that it is maximal at infinity, does it suffice to say that since x must always be greater than 0, then the integral is maximal at infinity? That doesn't sound very rigorous...how would you phrase it?

6. Aug 14, 2008 #5

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it should be enough to show that the function
    [tex]g(t)=\int_4^{t}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x}}[/tex] is always increasing (you could use FTC, with g'(t)>0), and so it follows that g(t) is maximal as t->infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?