Calculating Momentum and Velocity in a Football Collision

• Thread starter pokeefer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, a 92 kg fullback running at 5.0 m/s collides with two 75 kg linebackers, one moving at 2.0 m/s and the other at 4.0 m/s, at the goal line. After becoming entangled, the combined mass travels at a velocity of 0.041 m/s, and the fullback successfully scores. The calculation was done using the equation for momentum, and the final answer should have 3 significant figures.
pokeefer

Homework Statement

A 92 kg fullback, running at 5.0 m/s, attempts to dive across the goal line for a touchdown. Just as he reaches the goal line, he is met head-on in midair by two 75 kg linebackers, one moving at 2.0 m/s and the other at 4.0 m/s. If they all become entangled as one mass, with what velocity do they travel? Does the fullback score?

Homework Equations

Momentum = Mass x velocity
P stands for Momentum
Pbefore = Pafter

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what iv'e done so far. I want to make sure its right.

First I added both of the momentums of the linebackers and then I subtracted that momentum from the fullbacker's momentum to get a difference of 10 kg m/s and then divided that by the total mass of the 3 players combined.

P = M xv
P = Mv1 + Mv2
P = (75)(2) + (75)(4)
P = 150 + 300
P = 450 kg m/s
Pfullback = 92 x 5 = 460 kg m/s
Pchange = 460 kg m/s – 450 kg m/s
Pchange = 10 kg m/s
totalVelocity = totalMomentum/totalMass
Velocity = 10 kg m/s / 242kg
Velocity = 0.041 m/s
Yes the fullback scores.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good work. Plus I like your enthusiasm for the physics of football.
But how many significant figures should your final answer have?

I actually don't know how many sig figs. He tells me to watch my sig figs but I just round whenever it seems necessary :p thanks for confirming :)

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects in the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum and is a fundamental law of physics.

3. What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

4. How does momentum affect collisions?

In a collision, the total momentum of the objects involved is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be used to calculate the velocity of objects after a collision.

5. What factors affect an object's momentum?

The main factors that affect an object's momentum are its mass and velocity. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum. Similarly, the faster an object is moving, the greater its momentum will be.