Another question about Magnetic fields

In summary, a metal rod with a current of 10.5 A that is gliding on a horizontal rail 0.480 m apart requires a vertical magnetic field of 0.245 T to keep it moving at a constant speed.
andrew410
A 0.245-kg metal rod carrying a current of 10.5 A glides on two horizontal rails 0.480 m apart. What vertical magnetic field is required to keep the rod moving at a constant speed if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the rod and rails is 0.100?

Again I am supposed to use the formula F=IL x B. But I'm not sure where to start... What am I supposed to do with the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Any help would be great! thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient of kinetic friction is simply the ratio of the frictional force acting on a body, to the normal (to the surface it moves on) component of the force acting on it (in this case simply it's weight)

So a coefficent of kinetic friction of 0.1, means that the friction force on the metal rod is a tenth of it's weight (which is easy to find). Determine the magnetic force required to cancel out this friction force (to give constant speed), and then you can determine the magnetic field required.

Last edited:
So should I set the frictional force equal to the magnetic force (IL x B) and solve for B?

Yes, you should.

how would I get the length though? the problem only states how far the two rails are apart from one another.

I'd just assume the length is the distance between the rails, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in telling us the distance between the rails (actually the length of the metal rod isn't relevant anyway, only the length of it exposed to the magnetic field)

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here. I set the frictional force equal to the magnetic force like this: (.1*m*g) = ILB. Then, I solve for B and get: B = (.1*m*g)/(IL). This gives me .0476 T. It says that this answer is wrong. What am I doing wrong here?

Nevermind...its fine...stupid ilrn program wasn't working properly...

Last edited:

1. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by the movement of electrically charged particles. This can occur in several ways, such as the rotation of a planet's core, the flow of current through a wire, or the movement of electrons in an atom.

2. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

While both magnetic and electric fields are created by the movement of charged particles, the main difference is in how they interact with other objects. Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, while magnetic fields exert a force on moving charged particles.

3. How do magnetic fields affect objects?

Magnetic fields can affect objects in several ways. They can attract or repel certain materials, cause particles to align in a certain direction, or induce an electric current in a conductor.

4. Can magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. For example, materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, can redirect and absorb magnetic fields.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in motors and generators, credit card strips, MRI machines, and even in speakers and headphones to convert electrical signals into sound.