Another rather simple Differential Equation

In summary: No problem, it's always nice to be able to help someone out. And I always enjoy helping out with physics, I find it very interesting. If there's anything else you need help with, just let me know.
JoshHolloway
[tex]y \prime = (cos^{2}x)(cos^{2}(2y))[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} (cox(2x) + 1) \frac{1}{4}(cos(4y) + 1)[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{cos(4y) + 1}dy \ = \ \frac{1}{8} (cos(2x) + 1)dx [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{1}{ \sqrt{cos(4y)}^{2} + 1}dy \ = \ \frac{1}{8} \int (cos(2x) + 1)dx [/tex]

[tex] tan^{-1}(cos4y) \ = \ \frac{1}{8} \frac{1}{2} sin(2x) + \frac{1}{8} x + C [/tex]

[tex] tan[tan^{-1}(cos4y) \ = \ \frac{1}{16} sin(2x) + \frac{1}{8} x + C] [/tex]

[tex] cos^{-1}[cos(4y) \ = \ tan( \frac{sin2x}{16} + \frac{x}{8} + C)] [/tex]

[tex] y \ = \ \frac{1}{4} cos^{-1}[tan( \frac{sin2x}{16} + \frac{x}{8} + C)] [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question? What have you attempted?

~H

The first line is the problem, and each following line is one of the steps I took to solve it. The final line is the solution. Is that right? It sure doesn't look right to me, but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:
I am a little concerned as to what you have done with respect to this line here;

[tex] \int \frac{1}{{\color{red} \sqrt{cos(4y)}^{2} + 1}}dy \ = \ \frac{1}{8} \int (cos(2x) + 1)dx [/tex]

Why did you change it into this form? Why did you simply not integrate;

[tex]\int \frac{1}{cos(4y) + 1}dy[/tex]

In any case

[tex] \frac{1}{cos(4y) + 1} \neq \frac{1}{ \sqrt{cos(4y)}^{2} + 1}[/tex]

~H

Why is this so:

And I changed it into that form because I thought that would be an easy way to use the arctangent integration technique.

How would I integrate this:

Last edited:
Oh, would this work:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{cos(4y) + 1}dy \ = \ tan^{-1}( \sqrt{cos4y})[/tex]

I reworked the problem that way, and this is what I ended up with:

[tex] y \ = \ \frac{1}{4} cos^{-1}[tan^{2}( \frac{sin2x}{16} + \frac{x}{8} + C)] [/tex]

Am I getting warmer?

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is so:

[tex] \frac{1}{cos(4y) + 1} \neq \frac{1}{ \sqrt{cos(4y)}^{2} + 1}[/tex]Isn't this correct?: [tex] cos(4y) \ = \ \sqrt{cos(4y)}^{2}[/tex]

JoshHolloway said:
Why is this so:

Sorry I didn't see you had raised it to the power two, my eyes must be getting worse!

How would I integrate this:

I think the easiest way to do this is write it in terms of sec2.

~H

Does this work:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{cos(4y) + 1}dy \ = \ tan^{-1}( \sqrt{cos4y})[/tex]

How would you write that in terms of [tex]sec^{2}[/tex]

Wouldn't you have to use the method of Partial Fractions in order to get it into some form like this in order to write it in terms of sec
[tex] \frac{A}{cos4y} + 1[/tex]

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the easiest way would be to get it in terms of sec^2

I'm having the feeling you're making this harder than necessary.
Remember that (tan(2y))' = 2/(cos²(2y)).

[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \left( {\cos ^2 x} \right)\left( {\cos ^2 \left( {2y} \right)} \right) \Leftrightarrow \frac{{dy}}{{\cos ^2 \left( {2y} \right)}} = \cos ^2 xdx \Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{2}\tan \left( {2y} \right) = \frac{1}{4}\left( {\sin \left( {2x} \right) + 2x} \right) + C
[/tex]

JoshHolloway said:
Wouldn't you have to use the method of Partial Fractions in order to get it into some form like this in order to write it in terms of sec
[tex] \frac{A}{cos4y} + 1[/tex]

Yes, using partial fractions;

[tex]\frac{1}{\cos(4y) +1} = \frac{1}{2}\sec^{2}(2y)[/tex]

Now, you sould find;

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2}\sec^{2}(2y) \; dy[/tex]

A little easier to solve.

~H

But we started with sec²(2y), that was the factor cos²(2y) at the rhs...

Perhaps I'm missing something but I think you just went in a circle, from cos²(2y) to the double angle (losing the square) and now back introducing the square, with the half angle!

Wow. Thanks ALOT! I really do have a tendency to make things more difficult than they really are. Hey TD, could you check out the last question in the thread I started yesterday. Thanks.

TD said:
But we started with sec²(2y), that was the factor cos²(2y) at the rhs...

Perhaps I'm missing something but I think you just went in a circle, from cos²(2y) to the double angle (losing the square) and now back introducing the square, with the half angle!

Good point, guess my maths is a bit rough, best stick to physics...

~H

We're all here to help (or to get help), I'd probably make similar mistakes when attempting to answer physics questions :blushing:

It's nice to see you're helping arround a lot, being a science advisor and homework helper. I remember you from a couple of months back, with a few calculus questions :smile:

TD said:
It's nice to see you're helping arround a lot, being a science advisor and homework helper. I remember you from a couple of months back, with a few calculus questions :smile:

Hmm, so do I, volumes of revolution and integration by substitution (one where I actually forgot to integrate) once again, my careless mistakes let me down:blushing: . Thanks again for helping me :smile:

~H

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model a wide variety of phenomena in physics, chemistry, engineering, and other scientific fields.

Why is it important to study differential equations?

Differential equations are important because they provide a way to mathematically describe and predict the behavior of systems that change over time. They are used extensively in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model everything from the motion of planets to the spread of diseases.

What is the difference between an ordinary and partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves derivatives of a single variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves derivatives of multiple variables. ODEs are used to model phenomena that vary over a single independent variable, such as time, while PDEs are used for phenomena that vary over multiple independent variables, such as space and time.

How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact, closed-form solution using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. Numerical solutions involve approximating the solution using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. Examples of real-world applications include modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing electrical circuits, and studying the behavior of fluid flow.