Another solve for x I GOT IT THIS TIME just check

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the equation (3x)/(x^2-1)=[(x)/(x+1)]-4 and determining the restrictions for the solutions. The suggested solutions are x=2/3 and x=-2, with the restrictions being x cannot equal 1 or -1.
aisha
Another solve for x I GOT IT THIS TIME just check please

can someone please check my answer? The question was (3x)/(x^2-1)=[(x)/(x+1)]-4

my answer x=2/3 , x=-2
o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Both your solutions seem to be perfectly right. :cool:

OH I NEEDED TO STATE THE RESTRICTIONS for this question if there were any but I don't know what step to get the restrictions from, anyone have any ideas? :smile:

The restriction would be any value of x that you can put into the original equation to make the solution undefined. For example, if you have an equation:
1/x = 6,

x cannot equal zero or the operation is undefined. What would that make the restrictions in your case?

are the restrictions x cannot = 1 or -1? or are there more?

Yes, 1 and -1, that's what I see :smile:

:smile: Thanks

What does "solve for x" mean?

In mathematics, solving for x means finding the value of the variable x that makes an equation or inequality true.

How can I solve for x?

To solve for x, you can use various algebraic techniques such as isolating x on one side of the equation, using inverse operations, or factoring.

How do I know if my solution for x is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it makes the equation true. You can also graph the equation and see if the solution falls on the graph.

Why do I need to solve for x?

Solving for x is important in mathematics because it allows us to find the specific value of a variable that makes an equation true. This helps us solve problems and understand relationships between variables.

Are there any tips for solving equations for x?

Yes, some tips for solving equations for x include keeping track of your steps, checking your work, and understanding the properties of algebraic operations such as the distributive property and the commutative property.