1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another vector fields in terms of circulation and flux

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    Other laws in terms of circulation and flux

Why others vector fields no are studied like the magnetic and electric fields? In other words, why others vector fields, like the gravitational and the hydrodynamic, haven't "supreme laws" based in the circulation/flux or curl/divergence?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3
    The navier stokes equation are much complicated for me... I don't understand anything!

Unfortunately, I wrong the topic's title, but what I want say is: in eletromagnetism, the circulation/flux or curl/divergence of the electrical/magnetical field (maxwell's equations) are the most general and supremes laws! All the the other equations are just details or particularities. So, why in other fields of the physics the vector fields haven't laws like exist in the electromagnetism? For example, let says that G represents the gravitational field, I never see an equation of kind:
    $$\oint_{s} \vec{G}\cdot d\vec{s}=0$$ $$\oint\oint_{S} \vec{G}\cdot d^2\vec{S}=-km$$
    That are analogous to the maxwell's equations...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. Jun 12, 2014 #4
    What about Gauss law?

[tex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{s} = -4\pi G M_{int}[/tex]

6. Jun 12, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The standard operations on vector fields always appear in many fields of physics. This is "natural" in a way, because they result from the symmetry structure of Eucldidean (three-dimensional) space and the corresponding symmetry group (semidirect product of rotations and translations).

In addition these operations like [itex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}[/itex] or [itex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}[/itex], div and curl of a vector field, and [itex]\vec{\nabla} \phi[/itex], the gradient of a scalar field, have clear intuitive meaning in physics, particularly in fluid dynamics (see one of may latest postings in this forum).

7. Jun 12, 2014 #6
    It's the first time that I see this equation!!!

So, why the gauss law
    [tex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S} = -4\pi G M_{int}[/tex]
    and this other law
    $$\oint_{s} \vec{g}\cdot d\vec{s}=0$$
    are not emphasized like the maxwell laws ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook