Proving Vector Equality without Dot Product - A Simple Method

• Thread starter square_imp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the question is asking to prove that four position vectors in space, a, b, c, and d, have equal lengths when the line from the origin to the midpoints of AB, BC, and CD are perpendicular to the lines AB, BC, and CD respectively. This can be proven using the fact that the dot product of perpendicular lines is 0, showing that the coefficients of the vectors a and b are equal. However, this only proves that the lengths of a and b are equal, not that the vectors themselves are equal. The question is specifically asking for the proof of the lengths being equal.
square_imp
Now on another question, that states four points in space have 4 position vectors a,b,c and d relative to O. The question tells you that the line O to the mid-point of AB, BC and CD is perpendicular to the lines AB, BC and CD respectively. The question is asking for me to prove that therefore a^2 = b^2 = c^2 = d^2. Now I have used that fact that the dot product of the perpendicular lines = 0 which ends up proving that the coefficients of the vectors a and b for example equal each other. But is this proof that the actual vectors equal each other? Is there a better way of doing it without using the dot product? Hope I have explained this well enough.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify, I substituted a = xi + yj + zk and b = ui + vj + wk and proved that x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = u^2 + v^2 + w^2. Is this proof that therefore a^2 = b^2?

square_imp said:
Just to clarify, I substituted a = xi + yj + zk and b = ui + vj + wk and proved that x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = u^2 + v^2 + w^2. Is this proof that therefore a^2 = b^2?
What you have shown is that a and b have the same length.

i.e. |a| = |b| or √{(xi)² + (yj)² + (zk)²} = √{(ui)² + (vj)² + (wk)²}

That was all you were being asked to prove. Not that the vectors were equal to each other.
When the question used a², I think that meant the square of the modulus, or length, of the vector a.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity as it only has a magnitude (in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit), but velocity is a vector quantity as it has both a magnitude (in meters per second) and direction (north, south, etc.).

3. What are some real-world applications of vectors?

Vectors have many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some common examples include calculating the force and direction of a moving object, designing structures, and creating visual effects in video games and animations.

4. How are vectors represented mathematically?

Vectors can be represented in different ways, such as using Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) or using components (i, j, k). They can also be represented using matrices or in polar form (magnitude and direction).

5. How are vectors added and subtracted?

Vectors can be added and subtracted using the head-to-tail method or by breaking them down into their components. To add or subtract vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components. For example, to add two vectors (a, b) and (c, d), the resulting vector would be (a+c, b+d).