Vertical Height Between Two Climbers

• Thread starter Doug Desatnik
  • Start date
In summary, the rock climber throws a small first aid kit to another climber who is higher up the mountain. The initial velocity of the kit is 6.93 m/s at an angle of 66.5 degrees above the horizontal. At the instant when the kit is caught, it is traveling horizontally, so its vertical speed is zero. The height between the two climbers is 2.45 m.
Doug Desatnik
Answer Verification...*Please*

Hi Everybody,

I am having a problem with a homework question and think that I have finally got it right this time! Can somebody verify my work on this problem and let me know if I did indeed do this problem correctly? If not then can anybody help point me in the right direction and get me back on track?

The HW deals with Kinematics in 2-Dimensions

THANK YOU!

- Doug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Question
A rock climber throws a small first aid kit to another climber who is higher up the mountain. The initial velocity of the kit is 6.93 m/s at an angle of 66.5 degrees above the horizontal. At the instant when the kit is caught, it is traveling horizontally, so its vertical speed is zero. What is the vertical height between the two climbers?

My Set-Up of Variables

V_initial = 6.93 m/s
V_final - 0 m/s
A = 9.80 m/s^2
Y = ? (SOLVE FOR)
T = ?

My Equation & Work

V^2=V_initial^2+2AY --> Y = (V_final^2 - V_initial^2)/2A --> (0^2 - 6.93^2)/2(9.80) --> 48.02/19.6 --> 2.45m

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to try this question using this LATEX code, so here it is:

My Variables
[tex]V{0}[/tex] = 6.93 m/s
V = 0 m/s
a = [tex]9.80 m/s^2[/tex]

My Equation
[tex]V^2=V{o}^2+2aY[/tex]

My Work

[tex]V^2=V{o}^2+2aY[/tex] --> [tex]Y=V^2 - V{o}^2/2a[/tex] --> [tex]Y=(0^2 - 6.93^2)/(2)(9.80)[/tex] --> [tex]2.45m[/tex]

LATEX is really cool! It will surely take some time to get used to but this is really a nice function!

Ok, so after looking at this problem a bit differently, it is obvious that what the question is asking for is the max height of the projectile, right? In that case then the equation would be:

[tex]V^2=V{o}^2-2gy[/tex]

[tex]V{o}=6.93 m/s[/tex]
[tex]V=0 m/s[/tex]
[tex]g=9.80 m/s^2[/tex]
[tex]y=?[/tex]

I guess then my question becomes a simply math (algebra) problem... How do I rearrange the equation above to solve for the height, Y?

Is it like so?

[tex]Y=(V^2-V{0}^2)/-2g[/tex]

- Doug

What is the purpose of answer verification?

The purpose of answer verification is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the answers provided. It is used to double-check answers and identify any potential errors or mistakes.

How does answer verification work?

Answer verification typically involves comparing the given answer to a known or expected answer. This can be done manually or with the help of technology, such as computer algorithms or answer key databases.

Why is answer verification important?

Answer verification is important because it helps to maintain the integrity and reliability of data and information. It also allows for the identification and correction of errors, which can improve the overall quality of results.

What methods are used for answer verification?

Methods for answer verification may include cross-checking with other sources, using statistical analysis, and conducting experiments or tests to confirm the accuracy of the answer.

Are there any limitations to answer verification?

While answer verification can be a useful tool, it may have limitations, such as the availability of reliable sources or the potential for human error in manual verification. It is important to use multiple methods and sources for verification to minimize these limitations.