Is Transient Structural Analysis Necessary for Contact Problems in ANSYS 12?

In summary: You're setting the problem up incorrectly. You have to define a contact region beteween the two surfaces that will touch, define a "pinball region" length which is smaller than the initial gap, and then use ANSYS's nonlinear solver with sub-steps. It's all pretty straightforward to do in ANSYS Workbench.
albipittino
Hello all!
I'm modeling with ANSYS 12 (workbench) an assembly made up by components which are initially in "gap" condition, going in contact after deformation due to the applied pressure load. I tried in a "static structural" analysis by settings the manual contact regions type "frictionless" and interface treatment "add offset, ramped effect, 0 mm" or even "adjust to touch", but these modeling are both not realistic.
Anyone knows if it is mandatory a "transient structural analysis" for these contacts, or may I use a "static structural analysis" with other settings for contacts? Consider that the material I use are non linear.
Thanks all.

Engineering news on Phys.org
albipittino said:
Hello all!
I'm modeling with ANSYS 12 (workbench) an assembly made up by components which are initially in "gap" condition, going in contact after deformation due to the applied pressure load. I tried in a "static structural" analysis by settings the manual contact regions type "frictionless" and interface treatment "add offset, ramped effect, 0 mm" or even "adjust to touch", but these modeling are both not realistic.
Anyone knows if it is mandatory a "transient structural analysis" for these contacts, or may I use a "static structural analysis" with other settings for contacts? Consider that the material I use are non linear.
Thanks all.

You're setting the problem up incorrectly. You have to define a contact region beteween the two surfaces that will touch, define a "pinball region" length which is smaller than the initial gap, and then use ANSYS's nonlinear solver with sub-steps. It's all pretty straightforward to do in ANSYS Workbench.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=433240&highlight=ansys+contact

First of all thanks for answering.
Ok. I have done what you suggest:
- non linear analysis (material and transient model);
- many substeps;
- pinball region adequate to gap.

Still no convergence is reached.
I have noticed that the problem is that one component is subject to a rigid motion before contacts with the other.
Avoiding rigid motion (just inserting a zero displacement restraint on one side of the body),
the cvonvergence is reached.
Stay tuned for updates of these problems, thanks!

1. What is the "contact problem" in Ansys 12?

The contact problem in Ansys 12 refers to the simulation of interactions between two or more bodies in a model that come into physical contact with each other. This can include scenarios such as impact, sliding, or separation.

2. How does Ansys 12 handle contact problems?

Ansys 12 uses a variety of contact algorithms, such as penalty and Lagrange multipliers, to simulate contact between bodies in a model. These algorithms take into account factors such as material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions to accurately model the contact behavior.

3. Can Ansys 12 handle large deformation and/or nonlinear contact problems?

Yes, Ansys 12 has the capability to simulate large deformation and nonlinear contact problems. It uses methods such as automatic re-meshing and contact stabilization to accurately capture the behavior of the model under these conditions.

4. What types of analysis can be performed using Ansys 12 for contact problems?

Ansys 12 can perform both static and dynamic analyses for contact problems. This includes simulations of impact, sliding, and separation, as well as simulations of time-dependent behavior such as fatigue or creep.

5. Can Ansys 12 simulate contact problems between different types of materials?

Yes, Ansys 12 has the capability to simulate contact between different types of materials, including metals, plastics, and composites. It takes into account the material properties and behavior of each body to accurately model the contact interactions between them.