Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS WORKBENCH 14: Simply support option disabled

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    Hello..

i am trying to determine the maximum deflection of a beam on account of its sagging due to its own weight.
    I have the CAD MODEL of the beam and i import its IGS into ANSYS WB14.static structural.

1.is it a uniform distributed loading case?

2.i need to simply support the beam at both ends..but when i select the lower edge of the beam and goto SUPPORTS i find that the simply supported option is there but DISABLED(greyed out)..what to do now?

3.i need to apply the loading..how to go about this?

THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK PLEASE!!!!..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    You could have easily used hand calculations for the same, why do you need FEA?

Also, how about just use plane line (beam) elements instead of full 3d structure?

Simply supported option (probably) only works for line (& possibly shell) elements. It does not work for 3d solid elements.

Or if you really want to use your CAD , try remote displacements in which you can constrain linear and rotational motions along each axes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook