ANSYS WORKBENCH 14: Simply support option disabled

In summary, the conversation is about determining the maximum deflection of a beam using ANSYS WB14.static structural. The person needs to know if it is a uniform distributed loading case and how to apply loading. They also have trouble selecting the simply supported option and wonder if they can use plane line elements instead of 3D structures. The expert suggests using remote displacements to constrain linear and rotational motions.
polka129
Hello..

i am trying to determine the maximum deflection of a beam on account of its sagging due to its own weight.
I have the CAD MODEL of the beam and i import its IGS into ANSYS WB14.static structural.

1.is it a uniform distributed loading case?

2.i need to simply support the beam at both ends..but when i select the lower edge of the beam and goto SUPPORTS i find that the simply supported option is there but DISABLED(greyed out)..what to do now?

3.i need to apply the loading..how to go about this?

THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK PLEASE!..

You could have easily used hand calculations for the same, why do you need FEA?

Also, how about just use plane line (beam) elements instead of full 3d structure?

Simply supported option (probably) only works for line (& possibly shell) elements. It does not work for 3d solid elements.

Or if you really want to use your CAD , try remote displacements in which you can constrain linear and rotational motions along each axes.

1. Why is the simply support option disabled in ANSYS Workbench 14?

The simply support option is disabled in ANSYS Workbench 14 because it is not applicable to the current analysis being performed. This option is only available for certain types of structural analyses, such as static structural or modal analysis.

2. Can the simply support option be enabled in ANSYS Workbench 14?

No, the simply support option cannot be enabled in ANSYS Workbench 14. It is only available for specific types of analyses and cannot be manually enabled or disabled.

3. How do I perform a structural analysis without using the simply support option in ANSYS Workbench 14?

To perform a structural analysis without using the simply support option in ANSYS Workbench 14, you can use other boundary conditions such as fixed supports, remote displacements, or frictionless supports.

4. Is the simply support option necessary for all structural analyses in ANSYS Workbench 14?

No, the simply support option is not necessary for all structural analyses in ANSYS Workbench 14. It is only applicable to certain types of analyses and can be replaced with other boundary conditions.

5. Can I use the simply support option in ANSYS Workbench 14 for dynamic analyses?

Yes, the simply support option can be used for dynamic analyses in ANSYS Workbench 14. However, it is important to ensure that the analysis type selected supports this option and that it is appropriate for the specific problem being solved.