Any concerns over recent choices of NRC Chairpeople

• Thread starter Goldenlemur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choices
In summary, Allison Macfarlane and Greg Jaczko have very different backgrounds and agendas when it comes to nuclear power. Allison Macfarlane is a geologist who has studied nuclear waste issues, while Greg Jaczko does have a PhD in physics, but his dissertation was quite theoretical. Macfarlane's pro-nuclear blog opinions may be a good indication of her agenda, as she opposes waste reprocessing and the Yucca Mountain facility. However, the word in Rockville is this a done deal, and any other Commissioners would have been a much better choice.
Goldenlemur
I am talking about Greg Jaczko and now Allison Macfarlane.

I do not think they are incapable per say, but I question their technical knowledge. Nuclear reactors are highly engineered systems. Jaczko does have a PhD in physics, but it seems to me his dissertation was quite theoretical. Macfarlane is a geologist who does study nuclear waste issues. However, that is only one aspect of nuclear power.

Perhaps I am being baised being a nuclear engineer myself?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seen that the principal issues for the nuclear industry currently are social rather than technical, I'd be quite open to a savy politician being nominated to the role rather than a technical expert.

etudiant said:
Seen that the principal issues for the nuclear industry currently are social rather than technical, I'd be quite open to a savy politician being nominated to the role rather than a technical expert.
I'd prefer someone who a technical expert who is a savvy politician, and who does not have an agenda either way. Regulation should be objective and impartial.

Macfarlane's bio brief - http://esp.gmu.edu/people/facultybios/macfarlane.html

I have to wonder what is her agenda regarding spent fuel and/or HLW disposal in a repository.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atomicinsights.com voices my concerns very well. I have the same objections.

However, the word in Rockville is this a done deal. I hope the rumors are wrong. Any of the other Commissioners would have been a much better choice.

Since the appointee has to be confirmed by the senate, I don't think anyone could be confirmed that is pro- or neutral on the subject of Yucca Mountain while Harry Reid is the majority leader. I see a continuation of the 4-1 vote history with the chairperson being the 1.

The congressional hearings have convinced me that what I have heard was accurate. They will appoint Dr. Macfarlane. The atomic insights blog seems to agree with me here.

My real curiosity lies in what is contained in the IG report. Rod Adams seems to think it is pretty bad.

Jaczko seemed to have a concerted effort to slow the process down; all of his reorganization of paperwork has done is put another layer of cruft in the bureaucratic morass. Not surprising, seeing as he was nominated by an oil man.
Macfarlane will likely be just as obstinate and obtuse, being nominated by a "green energy" messiah.

Related to Any concerns over recent choices of NRC Chairpeople

1. How are NRC chairpeople chosen?

The NRC chairperson is chosen by the President of the United States and confirmed by the Senate. They are typically nominated based on their qualifications and experience in the field of nuclear science and policy.

2. What qualifications are required to be NRC chairperson?

The NRC chairperson is typically required to have a strong background in nuclear science and engineering, as well as experience in policy and regulation. They must also be a U.S. citizen and have no financial interests that could pose a conflict of interest.

3. Are there any concerns over the recent choices of NRC chairpeople?

There have been some concerns raised over the recent choices of NRC chairpeople due to their lack of experience in nuclear science and policy. Some critics argue that this may lead to a less effective regulatory body.

4. How does the NRC chairperson impact the nuclear industry?

The NRC chairperson plays a crucial role in regulating the nuclear industry and ensuring the safety and security of nuclear facilities. They also have a significant influence on policy decisions and the overall direction of the industry.

5. Can the NRC chairperson be removed from their position?

Yes, the NRC chairperson can be removed from their position by the President or by a joint resolution of Congress. This can occur if they are found to be in violation of their duties or if they are no longer deemed fit for the role.