Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any fans of Babylon 5

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    I have to ask, since I see all this love for Star Trek. Any fans of the last of the Babylon stations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2
    Honestly I never got into the series. Granted I don't remember watching any. Maybe I should give them a visit.

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I followed the first three seasons, which mostly followed a series of arching linked stories, and particularly enjoyed the plot about Sinclair going back in time, which wrapped up a lot of loose ends very neatly, and the spectacular end of the season, with the White Star crashing into Z'ha'dum.

Later stuff all seemed more fragmented and less compelling, and the spin-off "Crusade" series didn't grab me at all (although the Galen character was quite interesting).

5. Jan 12, 2014 #4
    For me, the show didn't enter it's own until the third season forward. All of the 3rd and 4th season were written by JMS, and almost all of the 5th. My favorite part of the show was the dialogue and the speeches. G'kar probably had the best lines.

6. Jan 12, 2014 #5

turbo

Gold Member

For sure! "Nobody here is what he seems." The characters evolved and condensed over the years.

7. Jan 12, 2014 #6
    Definitely. I found Seasons 3 and 4 the most entertaining myself. Season 5 provided an interesting counterpoint and mystery (that is resolved in the Centauri trilogy of novels).

8. Jan 13, 2014 #7
    I've never read the novels, perhaps I should.

Also, you have to love Vorlon one-liners.

"The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."

9. Jan 13, 2014 #8
    Thought I give this link:

Babylon 5 20th Anniversary Reunion

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Mar 22, 2014 #9
    I love B5! The longer story arcs and fewer world-of-the-week episodes is something other SF-shows should be more inspired by.

11. Mar 22, 2014 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I loved the story.

12. Apr 26, 2014 #11
    IMHO - Babylon 5 was better than Star Trek - for all the reasons given above.

13. Apr 26, 2014 #12
    It certainly DID inspire changes in many series that came after it - most notably DS9 and Voyager.

14. Apr 28, 2014 #13
    Hmm so far i only watched the very first episode... it hasnt really grasped me.
    Are all Centaurians that stupid, they couldnt find an ambassador who can control his rage?

Further series with time travel? I find it hard to accept even in SF, although i loved Hyperion (which that theme also).

15. May 1, 2014 #14
    The next episode introduces the Soul Hunter and is quite good.

16. Jan 24, 2015 #15

I am a big fan. For me, it's probably neck and neck with tng which I think is the strongest of those series. I think it actually starts off relatively mildly and builds up over the first season with the season finale finally getting the main plot rolling. Seasons 2-4 have more of the "meat" with season 5 wrapping things up nicely. There are a lot of cautionary tales on our own journey of scientific development toward some kind of super civilization. For example in one episode a scientist reminiscent of Mengele creates an immortality serum that will allow for perpetual life. Sounds great right? Well the catch is each dose requires the death of an intelligent lifeform. The Vorlons then destroy the scientist boldly proclaiming, "You are not ready for immortality." Sometimes I wonder the same about us especially if it were limited to just the ultra rich and then no new young people were allowed to replace the old and society became stagnant like if the Romans were to live forever and their values could never be overcome. Anyhow, a great series that gets you thinking. Koshisms are great, Garibaldi's obsession with Daffy Duck, the universality of Swedish meatballs, Zathras, Technomages, and of course all 6 Centauri penises.

Londo is probably my favorite character because he seems very real in terms of motivation, how conflicted he is, his sparring with G'kar, and his tragic end but eventual redemption.

Also, I like the alien perspective on earth culture. Seeing ourselves through the eyes of another species in quite humorous ways such as this:

(See link at the top)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  17. Jan 24, 2015 #16
    "Understanding is a three edged sword."

18. Feb 16, 2015 #17
    Big Fan. The first TV show to tell a complete story with a beginning, middle and end.

19. Feb 17, 2015 #18
    Well, The Tripods tried to do that, but got canceled in the middle. It sort of did if you just count the first season.

20. Mar 24, 2015 #19
    I'm a massive fan of Babylon Five. I was intrigued enough with their approach to FTL that I'm trying to figure out a similar system for one of my stories.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
  21. Apr 14, 2015 #20

hagar

Gold Member

I also enjoyed Babylon 5. It was a great contrast to Star Trek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook