Any recommendations for books or articles on the Standard Model?

In summary: Happy reading!In summary, as an undergraduate physics student, you are looking for recommendations for books on the Higgs boson and the future of the standard model. Some suggested titles for an accessible introduction to this topic are "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close, and "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll. For a deeper understanding of the mathematics involved, you may also want to check out "The Physics of the Standard Model and Beyond" by Paul Langacker, "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, and "The God Particle" by Leon Lederman and Christopher Hill. Other recommended books include "A Student
randybryan
I'm an undergrad physics student and have to write an essay on the Higgs boson and the future of the standard model. I don't need to have a comprehensive understanding of the maths underpinning it all, but it's quite difficult to find any undergraduate level reading on the subject. I'm currently trying to glean as much as I can from Perkins 4th edition 'Introduction to High Energy Physics', but a lot of it still requires a sufficient mathematical understanding of it all. This isn't to say I can't put the time into understanding the maths, but I could spend a whole year just reading books about gauge theories before moving onto the rest. There are hundreds of books on the subject, so I just thought I should see if anyone had any recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are looking for an undergraduate level introduction to the Higgs boson and the standard model, I would recommend the following books:

1. Introduction to Elementary Particles by David Griffiths
2. Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction by Frank Close
3. The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World by Sean Carroll
4. The Physics of the Standard Model and Beyond by Paul Langacker
5. The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
6. The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question? by Leon Lederman and Christopher Hill
7. A Student's Guide to the Standard Model of Particle Physics by Thomas Ferbel
8. An Invitation to Quantum Field Theory by Anthony Zee

These books will provide you with an accessible overview of the Higgs boson, the standard model, and the mathematics behind them. Additionally, the last two books in the list will provide some more in-depth information on the mathematical formalism of quantum field theory.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in particle physics that explains the fundamental particles and their interactions through the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces.

2. Why is the Standard Model important?

The Standard Model is important because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions, and it has been extensively tested and validated through experiments.

3. Can you recommend any books on the Standard Model?

Yes, some popular books on the Standard Model include "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll, "The Infinity Puzzle" by Frank Close, and "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths.

4. Are there any articles that explain the Standard Model in simple terms?

Yes, there are many articles that offer simplified explanations of the Standard Model, such as "The Standard Model of Particle Physics" by CERN and "The Standard Model Explained" by the American Physical Society.

5. Is the Standard Model a complete theory?

No, the Standard Model is not a complete theory as it does not include gravity and does not account for dark matter and dark energy, which are significant components of the universe. Scientists are still working to develop a more comprehensive theory that can explain all aspects of the universe.