1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone got Graph for attenuation coefficient gold?

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    Hello, does anyone have a graph for the attenuation coefficient of Gold (Au) (y-axis) with the respective types of interactions with photons of various energies usually from~10^-3 to 10^4 MV (x-axis) and where the incoherent, photoelectric, compton etc...interactions occur? Doing work on this and I can find for lead and Iron looked hard but cannot find for Gold. Many thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is visible in the region below 100 MeV already:
    http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ElemTab/z79.html
    http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ElemTab/z82.html

The K-edge shifts notably, of course, but apart from that it looks like a simple (small) scaling difference between the two elements. The photon just sees a bunch of electrons, protons and neutrons at that energy (and partons at even higher energy), I would not expect weird chemistry effects any more.

5. Jul 27, 2015 #4
    Dear e.bar.goum, many thanks for your help. Yes in fact I got the graph for lead absorptions and used this as very similar given the similar atomic number, but many thanks for getting the graph for gold as very useful to me. I am trying to see if gold nanoparticles in tumours will increase the overall number of secondary electrons using MeV photons in vivo. Many thanks again andrew visioli

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook