Photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient data

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for data on individual attenuation coefficients and provides a link to a document that contains photon data tables for elements and compounds.
Orlando

Homework Statement

I see graphs for the total mass attenuation coefficient such as this all over the web:http://scientificsentence.net/Radiations/images/attenuation_coefficients.jpg
However, I can't find data on the individual attenuation coefficients such as the photoelectric or Compton attenuation coefficients. What I need is either a general formula to find them, although I imagine that the formulas will be very complex, or just experimental data on the coefficients for different elements/mediums (e.g. soft tissue).

2. The attempt at a solution
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ComTab/tissue.html
This is the closest data I could find, but it tells me nothing about the individual attenuation coefficients.

Please tell me that someone reading this knows where to find this information or what to Google because I have run out of ideas. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this doc:

http://www.nist.gov/data/nsrds/NSRDS-NBS29.pdf

It's a collection of photon data tables (cross-sections, attenuation coefficients, etc.) for elements and compounds (Hubbell NSRDS-NBS29) - oldie but goodie :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient?

A photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient is a measure of the probability that a photon will be absorbed by a material through the photoelectric effect. It is used to calculate the attenuation (reduction) of the intensity of a photon beam as it passes through a material. The higher the coefficient, the more likely a photon will be absorbed.

2. How is the photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient data used?

The data is used in fields such as medical imaging, nuclear physics, and materials science to calculate the attenuation of radiation passing through different materials. It is also used in computer algorithms to create images based on the absorption of radiation by different structures in the body.

3. What factors affect the photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient?

The coefficient is affected by the atomic number of the material, the energy of the incident photon, and the density of the material. Materials with higher atomic numbers and higher densities tend to have higher coefficients. Additionally, the coefficient decreases as the energy of the photon increases.

4. How is the photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient measured?

The coefficient is measured through experiments using a photon beam and a sample of the material. The intensity of the photon beam is measured before and after it passes through the material. The difference in intensity is used to calculate the coefficient.

5. Can the photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient vary within a single material?

Yes, the coefficient can vary based on the energy of the incident photon. This is because different energies of photons interact differently with the electrons in the material, resulting in different probabilities of absorption through the photoelectric effect.