Anyone have ubuntu and win 7 on separate HDs?

• Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of dual booting Ubuntu and Windows on separate hard drives. The speaker encountered problems with booting Ubuntu when their Windows hard drive was connected, and they are considering purchasing a new hard drive to try and resolve the issue. They also mention potential issues with the motherboard and suggest searching online for solutions.
jreelawg
I am having some problems trying to accomplish this. I had to disconnect my HD with windows on it to install ubuntu on a separate HD. I installed it on an external usb HD. It worked fine, and ubuntu boots right up.

Problem is, that when I connect my HD with windows on it, now matter which HD I boot from, windows starts right up. And even when I disable my windows HD in bios, and then boot from my ubuntu HD, I get an error and it won't work.

So ubuntu will only boot when my windows drive is physically disconnected.

I'm guessing this must be caused by my motherboard's controllers or something like that. I'm thinking about buying a new SATA 3 HD, to install ubuntu on instead of the mybook USB HD I'm using now. I'm not sure though, if it will work, or if I'll be in the same boat I am with the external.

Anyone accomplished this?

I have an asus sabertooth p67 motherboard.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I haven't used Win7, but it sounds like a GRUB/MBR issue to me. I heard Vista didn't play very nicely with GRUB and liked to forcibly overwrite the MBR.

If you Google "Ubuntu / Win 7 dual boot" or something similar, there is HEAPS of threads relating to issues such as this. I've had my fair share of problems with Ubuntu / XP dual booting but not for a while, I run mine in Virtualbox now.

1. Can I have Ubuntu and Windows 7 installed on separate hard drives?

Yes, it is possible to have both Ubuntu and Windows 7 installed on separate hard drives on the same computer. This is known as a dual-boot setup.

2. What are the advantages of having Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate hard drives?

One advantage is that it allows you to have access to both operating systems without having to switch between them. Additionally, if one hard drive fails, you will still have the other operating system and its files intact.

3. Is it difficult to set up Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate hard drives?

The difficulty level of setting up Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate hard drives may vary depending on your technical expertise. However, there are many tutorials and guides available online that can help you with the installation process.

4. Will having Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate hard drives affect my computer's performance?

No, having Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate hard drives should not affect your computer's performance. Each operating system will run independently and will not interfere with the other's performance.

5. Can I transfer files between Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate hard drives?

Yes, you can transfer files between Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate hard drives. As long as both hard drives are connected to the same computer, you can access and transfer files between them.