Anything from Nothing: Uncovering the Possibilities

• B
  • Thread starter RajeshR
  • Start date
In summary: What do you think?I don't really have an opinion on this.Now, the question is whether the OP will actually come back and learn something from all the responses to the question, or is this another post-and-run thing.It's possible, but I'm not holding my breath.
RajeshR said:
If something from nothing is true then "anything" can come from nothing .. What is stopping it ?
For all we know a totally different universe could have come from nothing or a Dragon or Sentient being could have come from nothing.

In short are there any theories to why only "this something" came from nothing. Why not anything else from nothing?

I think the word “nothing” is throwing you off. It threw me off I thought “how can something come from absolutely nothing?” There has to be something there obviously I’m assuming the “nothing” is referring to the unknown, something we don’t yet know. I know physics is weird but in the way I think, there has to be something to create something or does that not violate the conversation of energy law? Unless the “nothing” we thing “something” is coming from is actually coming from another dimension? Hence why a 2D creature wouldn’t be able to comprehend an object they see entering the 3rd dimension, for them it disappeared. The same should apply to us surely.

Space news on Phys.org
Vishal Rana said:
I think the word “nothing” is throwing you off...
You should have stopped right there.

phinds said:
You should have stopped right there.

Why

Vishal Rana said:
Why
Because arguments about what "nothing" is always go nowhere. You've also gone off into a mythical "other dimension" as a possible solution. AND you require conservation of energy in a regime in which it is not known if that applies (as it does not apply, for example, over cosmological distances).

phinds said:
Because arguments about what "nothing" is always go nowhere. You've also gone off into a mythical "other dimension" as a possible solution. AND you require conservation of energy in a regime in which it is not known if that applies (as it does not apply, for example, over cosmological distances).

But is the other dimension really a myth tho?

Vishal Rana said:
But is the other dimension really a myth tho?
Yes. If you think otherwise, please provide an appropriate peer-reviewed reference discussing the topic - this is the minimum standard for an idea to be discussed on PF.

Note that I am aware that spacetime is usually modeled as four dimensional, but there is no time where a spacelike slice of it qualifies as "nothing". So references discussing general relativity are not sufficient. Also, some theories like Kaluza-Klein theory and string theory add further dimensions on top of the usual four. Again, these are not nothing and are not part of an explanation for the origin of the universe, so are not sufficient either.

This seems like a good place to close this thread.

Likes berkeman and Ibix