Finding the Shortest Distance from a Curve to the Origin

• Thread starter mandymanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, the shortest distance from the curve xy=4 to the origin is 2√2. This can be found by finding the derivative of the distance formula, setting it equal to 0, and solving for the value of x.
mandymanny

Homework Statement

The Shortest distance from the curve xy=4 to the origin is:

A. 2
B. 4
C. rad (2)
D. 2* rad (2)
E. .5 rad(2)

Homework Equations

... distance equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the pythagorean theorem to find the distances using x^2 and y^2 as a^2 and b^2 but couldn't get a right answer.. i went through each answer choice and got A but that's not the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Parametrize it then put it in the equation for distance in place of x and y. Minimize the distance like you would any other function of one variable.

Parametrize?

Vid said:
Parametrize it then put it in the equation for distance in place of x and y. Minimize the distance like you would any other function of one variable.

sorry but what does Parametrize mean?

Rewrite both variables as a function of t.
x = f(t) = ?
y = g(t) = ?

Plug the (f(t), g(t)) and (0,0) into the distance forumula to get distance as a function of t. Then, find the value of t that minimized d.

I got D, don't you think the shortest distance is when y=x intersects your curve? - It's at (2,2) so distance = 2*rad(2)
Edit: above answer simply y guessing..

or find function for Distance {D(x)} .. you know D = rad(x^2+y^2) subsitute y val from your org function

For the AB exam, it seems parametric equations are not required. I remember this question when prepping for the BC a few weeks ago. In essence, you would use the distance formula. You might need this for the test tomorrow, so I will just post how I thought about the question.

The simplest way I found to think about this question and get the answer is:

The graph xy = 4 is a hyperbola, which you can see by writing it as y = 4/x. It's also symmetric about the line y = x because its inverse is the same as itself. We draw a rough graph and notice that for x close to 0 and |x| close to infinity, the distance from the graph to the origin is huge. As we move closer to the symmetry line, the distances seem to get smaller. Intuition tells us the shortest distance is at the symmetry point when the graph seems to dip toward the origin [and it looks like a sort of question they would put on the test ;)]. If this is true, then [itex]x = y = \pm 2[/itex], and the point (2,2) or (-2,-2) is nearest the origin. This is a distance of [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex]. This explanation is long, but on the actual test you can do this very quickly.

The rigorous way to do it involves the distance formula. The question mentions distance from the origin to a point on the graph xy = 4. We have two points, (0,0) and the point on the graph, so we have an idea that we need to use the distance formula. Points on the graph are (x, 4/x). The distance between (0,0) and (x,4/x) as a function of x is:

[tex]\text{distance}=d(x)=\sqrt{x^2 + (4/x)^2}[/tex]

We want to minimize this, so take the derivative and set it equal to 0:

[tex]d\,'(x) = \frac{2x + 2(4/x)(-4/x^2)}{2\sqrt{x^2 + (4/x)^2}} = 0[/tex]

This is 0 when the numerator is 0, so

[tex]x - 16/x^3 = 0 \implies x^4 = 16 \implies x = \pm 2[/tex]

At this point, we should technically find the second derivative to confirm it's a minimum, but this is a multiple choice test, and we're pretty sure this is a minimum, since there are no other critical numbers. Use the distance formula to find the minimal distance.

Last edited:
Tedjn said:
For the AB exam, it seems parametric equations are not required. I remember this question when prepping for the BC a few weeks ago. In essence, you would use the distance formula. You might need this for the test tomorrow, so I will just post how I thought about the question.

The rigorous way to do it involves the distance formula. The question mentions distance from the origin to a point on the graph xy = 4. We have two points, (0,0) and the point on the graph, so we have an idea that we need to use the distance formula. Points on the graph are (x, 4/x). The distance between (0,0) and (x,4/x) as a function of x is:

[tex]\text{distance}=d(x)=\sqrt{x^2 + (4/x)^2}[/tex]

We want to minimize this, so take the derivative and set it equal to 0:

[tex]d \single-slash (x) = \frac{2x + 2(4/x)(-4/x^2)}{2\sqrt{x^2 + (4/x)^2}} = 0[/tex]

This is 0 when the numerator is 0, so

[tex]x - 16/x^3 = 0 \implies x^4 = 16 \implies x = \pm 2[/tex]

At this point, we should technically find the second derivative to confirm it's a minimum, but this is a multiple choice test, and we're pretty sure this is a minimum, since there are no other critical numbers. Use the distance formula to find the minimal distance.

One shortcut :rolleyes:
d(x)=\sqrt{x^2 + (4/x)^2} is max or min when d(x)=x^2 + (4/x)^2 is max or min .. so lot less work

Good point :) (is that a pun? don't think so lol)

thank you everyone :]

i got it

1. What is the format of the AP Cal AB MC Question?

The AP Cal AB MC Question consists of multiple-choice questions that assess your understanding of calculus concepts and your ability to apply them to solve problems. There are a total of 45 questions and you will have 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete the exam.

2. How are the AP Cal AB MC Questions scored?

Each multiple-choice question is worth one point, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. Your raw score is the number of questions you answer correctly. This score is then converted to a scaled score on a 1-5 scale by the College Board.

3. Can I use a calculator on the AP Cal AB MC Question?

Yes, you are allowed to use a graphing or scientific calculator on the AP Cal AB MC Question. However, you cannot use a calculator that has a QWERTY keyboard, a pen-input device, or any wireless or internet access capabilities.

4. What topics are covered on the AP Cal AB MC Question?

The AP Cal AB MC Question covers topics including limits, derivatives, integrals, and their applications. It also includes questions on algebraic, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Cal AB MC Question?

To prepare for the AP Cal AB MC Question, you should review your class notes, practice with past AP exam questions, and use study guides and review books. It is also helpful to work through practice problems and quizzes to improve your understanding and test-taking skills.