AP Calculus AB: Finding y with dy/dx = 2y^2 and given x=1, y=-1

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving dy/dx = 2y^2 and determining the value of y when x=2 using the given initial condition. The method of solving involves treating the differentials dy and dx as variables, integrating both sides, and using the boundary conditions to determine the value of the arbitrary constant.
MercuryRising
If dy/dx = 2y^2 and if y=-1 when x=1
then when x=2, y=?

I have no idea how to even start this probelm, i never seen this on any previous practice tests
i thought about using the equation y+1 = dy/dx (x-1), but that's probably wrong and not going to help...

Physics news on Phys.org
MercuryRising said:
then when x=2, y=?
I have no idea how to even start this probelm, i never seen this on any previous practice tests
i thought about using the equation y+1 = dy/dx (x-1), but that's probably wrong and not going to help...

Rewrite the equation as dy over y^2 equals 2dx integrate both sides then solve for the constant of integration by plugging in the initial condition and then you can find y when x = 2.

Here's a general rule for tackling these sorts of problems:

Suppose you have an equation of the form
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = f(y) g(x)[/tex]

You can treat the differentials [itex]dy[/itex] and [itex]dx[/itex] as if they were any other variable, so you can bring [itex]f(y)[/itex] and [itex]dy[/itex] on the same side of the equation and move everything else over to the other side: (I forget the exact proof of this, it involves the definition of the differential and chain rule I believe):
[tex]\frac{dy}{f(y)} = g(x) dx[/tex]

Then you can integrate both sides:
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{f(y)} = \int g(x) dx[/tex]

And you'll get an expression which you should be able to solve for [itex]y(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and an arbitrary constant [itex]C[/itex]. You can then use your boundary conditions to determine what [itex]C[/itex] should be.

It's seperable (as dicerandom said)

MercuryRising said:
then when x=2, y=?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=2y^2\Rightarrow\int\frac{dy}{y^2}=\int 2dx\Rightarrow -\frac{1}{y}=2x+C[/tex]

Last edited:
ahh...i didnt know you can work both sides like that, thank you all very much :biggrin:

Related to AP Calculus AB: Finding y with dy/dx = 2y^2 and given x=1, y=-1

1. What is AP Calculus AB?

AP Calculus AB is an advanced high school course that covers the basics of differential and integral calculus. It is designed to prepare students for the AP Calculus AB exam, which can earn them college credit.

2. How difficult is AP Calculus AB?

AP Calculus AB can be challenging for some students, as it requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. However, with hard work and dedication, many students are able to succeed in this course.

3. What topics are covered in AP Calculus AB?

AP Calculus AB covers a wide range of topics including limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. What is the format of the AP Calculus AB exam?

The AP Calculus AB exam consists of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 45 questions and the free-response section contains 6 questions. The exam is 3 hours and 15 minutes long.

5. What is a passing score on the AP Calculus AB exam?

The passing score for the AP Calculus AB exam is a 3, 4, or 5, with 5 being the highest score. However, some colleges may require a higher score for a student to earn college credit. It is important to research the credit policies of the colleges you are interested in.