AP CHem, finding concentration of H2O2 by titration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the concentration of H2O2 used in a solution, which was titrated with 34.5 ml of titrant (0.050 M KMnO4) for a solution containing 5ml of H2O2 and 65 ml of H2SO4. The attempt at a solution resulted in a concentration of 0.8625 M, which has a high % error. The person is looking for help in identifying where they went wrong and how to fix it.
Poly550

Homework Statement

I need to find the concentration of the H2O2 that we used

Homework Equations

2KMnO4 + 5H2O2 + 3H2SO4 → 2MnSO4 + 5O2 + 8 H2O + K2SO4 (not sure if correct)

we got an average of 34.5 ml of titrant, for solution we were adding the titrant to being 5ml of Hydrogen peroxide, and 65 ml of H2SO4

.6 m H2SO4
.050 M KMnO4
? M H2O2 (what I am trying to find)

The Attempt at a Solution

.8625 (very high % error, supposed to be .03 If i did it correctly [3 grams per 100ml in a water based solution is .03 right?])I would like to know what I did wrong, and how i could fix it.thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
From the information given 0.8626 M is a correct answer.

Convert M to %, THEN calculate the error.

1. What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a solution of known concentration.

2. How does titration work?

In titration, a small volume of a solution with unknown concentration is added to a solution of known concentration until the reaction between the two is complete. This allows for the determination of the unknown concentration.

3. What is the purpose of titration in AP Chemistry?

In AP Chemistry, titration is often used to find the concentration of a substance in a solution. This can be used to determine the purity of a substance or to calculate the concentration of a reactant or product in a chemical reaction.

4. How do you calculate the concentration of H2O2 using titration?

To calculate the concentration of H2O2 using titration, you will need to know the volume and concentration of the titrant solution (the solution of known concentration) and the volume of the solution with unknown concentration. By using the balanced chemical equation and the volume of titrant used, you can calculate the moles of H2O2 present and then use that to find the concentration.

5. What are the potential sources of error in a titration experiment?

There are several potential sources of error in a titration experiment, including inaccurate measurements, impurities in the solutions, incomplete reactions, and human error in recording data. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and take multiple measurements to reduce the impact of these errors.