AP Mechanics DiffEQ: Restoring Torque & Angular Acceleration

In summary, a stick with two point masses affixed to its ends is arranged to pivot in a horizontal plane about a frictionless vertical axis through its center. When displaced through a small angle, the stick experiences a restoring torque of -kl²SinΘCosΘ, resulting in an angular acceleration of -(k/2m)Θ. This equation can be solved to obtain the angular displacement of the stick as a function of time, given by Θ = ΘoCos(wt), where w² = k/2m and Φ = 90.
turdferguson

Homework Statement

A stick of length 2L and negligible mass has a point mass m affixed to each end. The stick is arranged so that it pivots in a horizontal plane about a frictionless vertical axis through its center. A spring of force constant k is connected to one of the masses. The system is in equilibrium when the spring and stick are perpendicular. The stick is displaced through a small angle theta.
a) Determine the restoring torque when the stick is displaced from equilibrium through the small angle theta
b) Determine the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the stick just after it has been released
c) Write the differential equation whose solution gives the behavior of the system after it has been released
d) Write the expression for the angular displacement theta of the stick as a function of time t after it has been released from rest

theta = displacement angle, phi=angle between stick and spring (complement)
Torque = f X d
f=kLsin(theta)
a) torque = [kLsintheta]*Lsin(phi) = kL2sin(theta)cos(theta)
b) alpha = torque/moment of inertia = [kL2sin(theta)cos(theta)]/[2mL2]
alpha=ksin(theta)cos(theta)/[2m] = k/[4m]*sin(2theta)

Im pretty sure about this, but now what do they mean by "behavior of the system" (displacement?, velocity?) and how do I get things in terms of t?

My attempt:
c) alpha=k/[4m]*sin(2theta) = d2theta/dt2
d2theta/sin(2theta) = k/[4m]*dt2
Am I supposed to integrate that twice? It seems way too intense for an AP to integrate ln[abs(tantheta)]dtheta. Is there a mistake anywhere?

Homework Equations

Torque = f X d
alpha = torque/moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

theta = displacement angle, phi=angle between stick and spring (complement)

f=kLsin(theta)
a) torque = [kLsintheta]*Lsin(phi) = kL2sin(theta)cos(theta)
b) alpha = torque/moment of inertia = [kL2sin(theta)cos(theta)]/[2mL2]
alpha=ksin(theta)cos(theta)/[2m] = k/[4m]*sin(2theta)

Im pretty sure about this, but now what do they mean by "behavior of the system" (displacement?, velocity?) and how do I get things in terms of t?

My attempt:
c) alpha=k/[4m]*sin(2theta) = d2theta/dt2
d2theta/sin(2theta) = k/[4m]*dt2
Am I supposed to integrate that twice? It seems way too intense for an AP to integrate ln[abs(tantheta)]dtheta. Is there a mistake anywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just one question: spring is in the horizontal plane, or is it vertical?

Horizontal plane.

For anyone interested, I looked up the solutions, and they were able to simplify it greatly with the small angle approximations sin(theta)=theta and cos(theta)=1

Then the torque is -kL2theta, the acceleration is k/[2m]. Then they solved it in one magic step to get theta=theta0cos[sqrt(k/(2m))t]

Well, I think you have understood the Physics part, it is just the mathematical part which is troubling you. Assuming that here is a brief of the solution:
Using, [tex]\vec{t}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{R}[/tex]X[tex]\vec{F}[/tex],

[tex]\tau[/tex]restoring = l*(k*l*SinΘ)*Sin(90+Θ) = -kl²SinΘCosΘ

For small Θ, SinΘ [tex]\approx[/tex] Θ and CosΘ [tex]\approx[/tex] 1

Therefore, [tex]\tau[/tex]restoring [tex]\approx[/tex] -kl²Θ

Now, [tex]\tau[/tex] = Ia, where I is moment of inertia of the system and a is angular acceleration.
Here, I = 2mL²

Thus, a = -(k/2m)Θ

Note that a = d²Θ/dt²

If you have gone through SHM, you would be knowing that Sine and Cosine functions satisfy this differential equation.

Thus, Θ = ΘoSin(wt + Φ)

where, w² = k/2m, and Φ is phase difference and can be determined from boundary conditions. Here, at t = 0, Θ = Θo, wherefrom Φ = 90

Thus, Θ = ΘoCos(wt)

Basically, it's not magical, it's procedural. :cool:

Last edited:

1. What is restoring torque in AP Mechanics DiffEQ?

Restoring torque is a type of torque that acts to bring an object back to its original position after it has been displaced. It is often associated with the study of rotational motion and can be calculated using the equation T = -θk, where T is the restoring torque, θ is the angle of displacement, and k is a constant related to the object's characteristics.

2. How is restoring torque related to angular acceleration?

Restoring torque and angular acceleration are closely related as restoring torque is the force that causes an object to accelerate angularly. This means that the greater the restoring torque, the greater the angular acceleration of the object will be.

3. What is the significance of restoring torque in the study of rotational motion?

Restoring torque plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing rotational motion. It helps us understand how objects return to their original position after being displaced and how this affects their angular acceleration. Additionally, restoring torque is essential in calculating the potential energy of a rotational system and determining stability.

4. How do you calculate the restoring torque of an object?

The restoring torque of an object can be calculated using the equation T = -θk, where T is the restoring torque, θ is the angle of displacement, and k is a constant related to the object's characteristics. The value of k can be determined by factors such as the object's moment of inertia and the spring constant of the system.

5. Can restoring torque be negative?

Yes, restoring torque can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the torque is opposite to the direction of the displacement. In other words, the force is trying to move the object away from its original position instead of bringing it back to its original position. This can happen in systems where the restoring force, such as gravity or a spring, is acting against the direction of the displacement.