AP Phyisics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres

• Thread starter flannabhra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Spheres
In summary, the problem involves two concentric spherical shells with different electric potentials. The net charge on each shell is represented by Qi and Qo, and the distance from the center is denoted by r. The task is to express all algebraic answers in terms of these variables and fundamental constants. The student is having trouble with part (e) of the problem, which involves a graph. They understand the general shape of the graph, but are unsure why the value of electric field at r = 0.10 m is -4000 N/C.
flannabhra

Homework Statement

Two thin, concentric, conducting spherical shells, insulated from each other, have radii of 0.10 m and 0.20 m, as shown above(Graphic Above). The inner shell is set at an electric potential of -100 V, and the outer shell is set at an electric potential of +100 V, with each potential defined relative to the conventional reference point. Let Qi and Qo represent the net charge on the inner and outer shells, respectively, and let r be the radial distance from the center of the shells. Express all algebraic answers in terms of Qi, Qo, r and fundamental constants, as appropriate.

Homework Equations

I am having trouble with part (e), the graph. I understand the basic shape of the graph but I am confused as to why the value of E at 0.10 m is -4000N/C.Note: This is an old AP question from the 2012 AP Physics C E & M test.

Thank you for your help!

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't show my attempt to graph..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 10.36.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 10.36.33 PM.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 797
  • ap12_physics_c_elec_mag_q1.pdf
    862.8 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
but I understand that the graph should look like a parabola with E = 0 at r = 0.20 m and E = -4000 N/C at r = 0.10 m. I do not understand why the value of E is -4000 N/C at r = 0.10 m.

Related to AP Phyisics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres

What is AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres?

AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres is a course that covers advanced topics in electricity and magnetism, specifically focusing on the concepts of charge, electric fields, and electric potential in the context of two thin concentric spheres.

What are the prerequisites for taking AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres?

In order to take AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres, students should have a strong foundation in calculus and physics, particularly in the topics of electricity and magnetism.

What are some key topics covered in AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres?

Some key topics covered in AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres include Coulomb's Law, Gauss's Law, electric potential, capacitance, and the behavior of electric fields and potentials in various scenarios involving two thin concentric spheres.

How is AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres different from other AP Physics courses?

AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres is a more advanced and specialized course compared to other AP Physics courses, as it focuses specifically on the concepts and applications of charge, electric fields, and electric potential in the context of two thin concentric spheres.

What are some potential career options for students who take AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres?

Students who take AP Physics C E & M: Two Thin Concentric Spheres may go on to pursue careers in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, or other STEM-related fields that require a strong understanding of electricity and magnetism.