AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam Prep: Focus Areas for Grade 3+

In summary: If you are looking for a shorter, algebraically based physics book for AP Physics 1 and 2, I would recommend starting with the Princeton Review book. It provides a comprehensive overview of the exam and includes strategies for how to prepare, as well as practice exams. However, since the Physics 1 and 2 courses are relatively new, it is uncertain if the practice problems will align with the new curriculum. Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that physics is a cumulative subject, so it is not sufficient to only study specific chapters or topics. It is recommended to also use other resources, such as online practice problems from the College Board website and last year's free-response questions and solutions. These can be found on the College Board website
Maddie1609
Hi,

When I am using Principles of Physics by Walker, Halliday, and Resnick to study for AP physics 1 and 2 exams, what chapters/subject areas should I focus on to get at least grade 3? Due to a lack of time to study I will need to study what's most important. Alternatively, recommendations for a shorter algebraically based physics book that covers the curriculum for AP physics 1 and 2:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Maddie1609 said:
Due to a lack of time to study I will need to study what's most important.

I'm afraid that this strategy is unlikely to work. One reason is that physics is cumulative. To do a problem in Chapter N, it's not enough to know the material in Chapter N, you need to know the material in Chapters 1-N.

Likes Student100 and bcrowell
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid that this strategy is unlikely to work. One reason is that physics is cumulative. To do a problem in Chapter N, it's not enough to know the material in Chapter N, you need to know the material in Chapters 1-N.
I have studied physics and quite a bit of physics in calculus, but I need to know what to study (I guess you could say revise) in this book when preparing for these exams:wink:

I would start with the Princeton Review book, it will tell you everything you need to know about the exam and includes strategies for how to prepare. It has practice exams too.

Likes Maddie1609
Stengah said:
I would start with the Princeton Review book, it will tell you everything you need to know about the exam and includes strategies for how to prepare. It has practice exams too.
Thanks! I'll have to order it from Amazon:smile:

Maddie1609 said:
Hi,

When I am using Principles of Physics by Walker, Halliday, and Resnick to study for AP physics 1 and 2 exams, what chapters/subject areas should I focus on to get at least grade 3? Due to a lack of time to study I will need to study what's most important. Alternatively, recommendations for a shorter algebraically based physics book that covers the curriculum for AP physics 1 and 2:smile:

Since the Physics 1 and 2 courses are just in their 2nd year, it is not clear if a book like Princeton Review will have practice problems that are well-matched to these new courses, or are still in the old "Physics B" mode that did not emphasize conceptual understanding so much. Many people found the Physics 1 and 2 exams to be more challenging than the Physics B exams, which are no longer given. You might consider just taking 1 exam this year, to improve your chances of passing at least one test.

Physics 1 covers:
mechanics, including rotational motion
electrostatics and simple circuits (resistors and batteries, but NOT capacitors)
"mechanical" waves: sound and waves on a string, but no light waves or optics

Physics 2 covers
thermodynamics
fluids
electricity and magnetism
more advanced circuits
optics
introductory quantum, atomic, and nuclear/particle physics

You can find practice problems online at the College Board website, who own the AP Physics courses and tests:

1. At this website: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/descriptions/index.html
Find "AP Physics 1", and click on "Full Course Description"
Practice problems start on p. 155 for Physics 1, and p. 189 for Physics 2. Both multiple-choice and free-response questions are included.
The information and equations that will be provided on the exam are on pages 227-228 for Physics 1, and 229-231 for Physics 2
WARNING: do NOT worry about the stuff on pages 13-141. That is meant for teachers.
A list of topics is on page 142. Do NOT worry about the "Big Ideas" listed, that is more important for teachers.

2. Last year's free-response (but NOT multiple-choice) questions, and solutions, can be found here:
Physics 1 at http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/225288.html
Physics 2 at http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/225439.html

You seem to be doing this as a self-study. Does your school have an AP Physics teacher? He or she may have access to the practice exam that College Board only shares with teachers. You wouldn't be allowed to keep this exam or take it home, but the teacher might let you sit and try it out after school for practice.

Wait, is it possible to take AP tests outside the U.S?

Entanglement said:
Yep, although many places schools will have to order exams for students who wish to take them.

Entanglement said:
The exams must be ordered in advance, and it is only a month before the tests are given. If you want to take an AP exam this year, you need to talk to an AP teacher at your school right away.

1. What is the format of the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam?

The AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam consists of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 50 questions and accounts for 50% of the overall score, while the free-response section contains 5 questions and accounts for the remaining 50% of the score.

2. What are the focus areas for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam for grade 3+?

The focus areas for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam for grade 3+ include Kinematics, Dynamics, Energy, Momentum, Circular Motion and Gravitation, and Thermodynamics. These topics cover the fundamental principles of physics and their applications in real-world scenarios.

3. How can I best prepare for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam?

The best way to prepare for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam is to practice regularly with past exam questions and review your understanding of the focus areas. It is also helpful to seek additional resources such as study guides and attend review sessions conducted by your teacher or a tutor.

4. Are there any recommended study materials for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam?

Yes, there are several recommended study materials for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam, including the official AP Physics 1 & 2 Course and Exam Description, review books, and online resources such as Khan Academy and College Board's official practice questions.

5. What is a passing score for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam?

The passing score for the AP Physics 1 & 2 Exam varies depending on the college or university you are applying to. Generally, a score of 3 or higher on the exam is considered a passing score and may earn you college credit or advanced placement in a physics course.