1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing AP Physics 1 and 2

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    Hi,

When I am using Principles of Physics by Walker, Halliday, and Resnick to study for AP physics 1 and 2 exams, what chapters/subject areas should I focus on to get at least grade 3? Due to a lack of time to study I will need to study what's most important. Alternatively, recommendations for a shorter algebraically based physics book that covers the curriculum for AP physics 1 and 2:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm afraid that this strategy is unlikely to work. One reason is that physics is cumulative. To do a problem in Chapter N, it's not enough to know the material in Chapter N, you need to know the material in Chapters 1-N.

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3
    I have studied physics and quite a bit of physics in calculus, but I need to know what to study (I guess you could say revise) in this book when preparing for these exams:wink:

5. Feb 7, 2016 #4
    I would start with the Princeton Review book, it will tell you everything you need to know about the exam and includes strategies for how to prepare. It has practice exams too.

6. Feb 7, 2016 #5
    Thanks! I'll have to order it from Amazon:smile:

7. Feb 18, 2016 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the Physics 1 and 2 courses are just in their 2nd year, it is not clear if a book like Princeton Review will have practice problems that are well-matched to these new courses, or are still in the old "Physics B" mode that did not emphasize conceptual understanding so much. Many people found the Physics 1 and 2 exams to be more challenging than the Physics B exams, which are no longer given. You might consider just taking 1 exam this year, to improve your chances of passing at least one test.

Physics 1 covers:
    mechanics, including rotational motion
    electrostatics and simple circuits (resistors and batteries, but NOT capacitors)
    "mechanical" waves: sound and waves on a string, but no light waves or optics

Physics 2 covers
    thermodynamics
    fluids
    electricity and magnetism
    more advanced circuits
    optics
    introductory quantum, atomic, and nuclear/particle physics

You can find practice problems online at the College Board website, who own the AP Physics courses and tests:

1. At this website: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/descriptions/index.html
    Find "AP Physics 1", and click on "Full Course Description"
    Practice problems start on p. 155 for Physics 1, and p. 189 for Physics 2. Both multiple-choice and free-response questions are included.
    The information and equations that will be provided on the exam are on pages 227-228 for Physics 1, and 229-231 for Physics 2
    WARNING: do NOT worry about the stuff on pages 13-141. That is meant for teachers.
    A list of topics is on page 142. Do NOT worry about the "Big Ideas" listed, that is more important for teachers.

2. Last year's free-response (but NOT multiple-choice) questions, and solutions, can be found here:
    Physics 1 at http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/225288.html
    Physics 2 at http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/exam/exam_information/225439.html

You seem to be doing this as a self-study. Does your school have an AP Physics teacher? He or she may have access to the practice exam that College Board only shares with teachers. You wouldn't be allowed to keep this exam or take it home, but the teacher might let you sit and try it out after school for practice.

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7
    Wait, is it possible to take AP tests outside the U.S?

9. Apr 6, 2016 #8
    Yep, although many places schools will have to order exams for students who wish to take them.

10. Apr 6, 2016 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

11. Apr 7, 2016 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The exams must be ordered in advance, and it is only a month before the tests are given. If you want to take an AP exam this year, you need to talk to an AP teacher at your school right away.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted