Should I Use My AP Physics Credits to Skip Introductory Classes in College?

In summary: Some people said that they would just take the AP Physics credits off, while others said that they would take the credits and then just take the introductory classes later.
fissicky
AP Physics and college major...

Hi, I need to know something about college...

Assume I score 5s on both the AP Physics B and C test, and in college I want to major in Physics and go on to grad school for some area in Physics. I plan to take Honors Physics BTW.

Is it recommended that I use the college credit gained from the B and C test to skip many of the introductory classes in college? If not, how about just skipping the classes whose credit was gained from the B test, since C is like a repetition of B except more in depth with calculus? I.e., I should take the classes that Physics C WOULD have skipped.

If it really matters that I get a college re-education in those introductory levels of Physics, then OK I'll just take the AP Physics credits off. But if it really doesn't matter that much, I won't take them again because I'm not exactly rich, and 3-6 classes gone saves quite a bit of money.

Thanks a lot, PF.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It really depends on how good your high school classes were. AP tests really don't mean anything.

Skip the credit you would get for B physics majors don't take those anyway. Physics C does not cover all the matrial of an introductory course, even with both parts of (I and II). Most students pricing is not on a per couse or per unit basis, it is quite possible that retaking physics would not cost more, though it may stop you from taking substitution courses. You would no doubt benifit from retaking them, how much is hard to say. As a physics major you should take physics each term (maybe more than one). Introductory courses very from one to two years, and due to logistics all parts are not offered each term. If the course does not start until later in the fist year, then placing into the second year would keep you from being physics idle most of the year and really open up your schedule. This would likely not work with honors as most honors classes start at the beginning of the first year and are morse difficult to join in progress. You may also be able to place into some elective or sequel course. Also be sure to learn as much math as you can as soon as possible.

What is AP Physics and how does it differ from regular high school physics?

AP Physics is a course that covers the fundamental concepts of physics at a more advanced level. It is designed to prepare students for the AP Physics exam, which can earn them college credit. Regular high school physics typically covers the same topics, but at a slower pace and with less depth.

Is AP Physics a difficult course?

AP Physics can be challenging, as it covers a wide range of topics and requires a strong understanding of mathematics. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable.

Does taking AP Physics help with getting into college?

Taking AP Physics can demonstrate to colleges that you have a strong interest in and aptitude for science and mathematics. It can also potentially earn you college credit, which can save you time and money in the long run.

What are the benefits of majoring in physics in college?

Majoring in physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research, engineering, and teaching. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many fields.

Do I need to have taken AP Physics in high school to major in physics in college?

No, it is not a requirement to have taken AP Physics in high school to major in physics in college. However, having a strong foundation in math and science can be beneficial for success in a physics major.