Ap Physics C and Ap Comp Sci

In summary, the individual is planning on self-studying for the AP Physics C/E&M and AP Computer Science exams, but is unsure of what additional study materials are needed. They are also considering whether to take both parts of the Physics C exam or just the E&M part, as they want to study mechanical or aerospace engineering in college. For APCSA, the individual suggests using the Barrons review book and an IDE for practice coding. They also recommend doing as many practice tests as possible to prepare for the test, as computers are not allowed during the exam. For Physics C, the individual suggests eventually taking both parts and getting a calculus-based physics book like Halliday, Resnick and Walker's Fundamentals of Physics to work through problems
Ahmed A
Hi
I'm an incoming junior in high-school and I am planning on self-studying for the AP Physics C/E&M and AP Computer Science exams since my school doesn't offer these courses. I am buying the Barrons review books but what other study materials do I need?

I am also taking Physics B course in school but I don't know whether to take both the AP Physics C and E&M tests or AP Physics B and just C: E&M. I want to study mechanical or aerospace engineering in college, which would look better.

Thanks,
Ahmed

Physics news on Phys.org
For APCSA, you're probably fine with just the review book and an IDE to do practice code in. The one they used at my class was called jGRASP, but pick whatever you like. There isn't a lot of material in APCSA, since it's really supposed to be a semester course in CS; my class finished in January and spent the next four months reviewing. Do as many practice tests as you can, because computers aren't allowed on the test, so you'll need to train your mind a bit to be able to figure out code when it's just on paper; like math, there are questions where minor things like missing a word or misinterpreting the way part of the code works can get you a totally wrong answer. But it really isn't a hard test, so don't sweat things too much.

For Physics C, try to eventually take both parts; more schools accept C Mechanics than B, and even the schools that do accept B, most of them will give an Algebra-based Physics credit, whilst an engineering school would more likely (if not definitely) require a Calc-based Physics credit to get out of their intro physics classes. Get a copy of a typical calculus-based physics book like Halliday, Resnick and Walker's Fundamentals of Physics (Edition shouldn't really matter. Just get whatever's cheapest.), and work through the problems.

You might also want to consider delaying taking Physics C until senior year, as there is reasonable overlap between Physics B and C that it might be advantageous to just focus on the B exam this year, know that material thoroughly, and then move onto Physics C. Or you could do one part this year and the other the next.

1. What is the difference between AP Physics C and AP Comp Sci?

AP Physics C is a course that focuses on the study of classical mechanics and electromagnetism, while AP Comp Sci is a course that focuses on computer science and programming. AP Physics C is typically taken by students who have a strong foundation in calculus, whereas AP Comp Sci can be taken by students with little to no prior experience in programming.

2. Is it necessary to take AP Physics C before taking AP Comp Sci?

No, it is not necessary to take AP Physics C before taking AP Comp Sci. While knowledge of physics can be helpful in understanding certain concepts in computer science, it is not a prerequisite for the course. However, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills for both courses.

3. What is the format of the AP Physics C exam?

The AP Physics C exam consists of two parts: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section is 45 questions long and covers both mechanics and electromagnetism. The free-response section contains three questions, with one focused on mechanics and two focused on electromagnetism.

4. What programming languages are used in AP Comp Sci?

The AP Comp Sci course primarily uses the Java programming language. Students will learn the fundamentals of Java, including object-oriented programming concepts such as classes and methods. They will also learn how to write code to solve various problems and develop their own programs.

5. How should I prepare for the AP Physics C and AP Comp Sci exams?

To prepare for the AP Physics C exam, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and to practice solving problems using the equations and concepts learned in class. For the AP Comp Sci exam, it is essential to practice coding and solving problems using the Java programming language. It is also helpful to review past AP exam questions and to take practice exams to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked.