AP Physics C: Solving Energy Homework Equation

In summary, an object of mass 1 kg is launched at an angle of 42° from the horizontal at 180 meters per second and a force of drag acts on it that is dependant on its velocity, with the force being equal to -.012 volts. The energy the ball has when it reaches its maximum height is 133.8 meters per second and 120 meters per second.
SHawking

Homework Statement

First, this is not an assignment, per se, it is for my own help, and If someone could help me work it through that would be much appreciated.

An object of mass 1 Kg is launched at an angle of 42° from the horizontal at 180 m/s. A force of drag acts on it that is dependant on its velocity, with the force being equal to -.012V. What energy does the ball have when it reaches its maximum height?

Homework Equations

I solved the initial components in both the x and y directions and got 133.8 m/s and 120 m/s.
Other equations:
E=K+U
K=.5mv^2
U=mgh
x(t)=x+(integral)v(t)dt
I am sure I am missing some, which is part of my problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with F=mdv/dt
Integrated to
Integral from Vi to V (dv')/fv'=t/m which didnt help much.
I then tried
mdv/dt=mg-kv (kv being my -.012v)
But, was having trouble with my signs, and it didnt look like it was coming out right.

THe retarding forces in the y direction are -mg-.012v
and the x direction is only -.012 v

Going to F=ma I tried various substitutions and again, had little luck.

I know I wiill need to solve the height at which the velociy is zero, using only the y component to get potential enrgy, and also find the x velcity at this time to get the kinetic energy and then add them up to get the total energy. The thing that is giving me difficult is the retarding force as a function of the velocity, so the force will be constantly changing.

If anyone could help that would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been working on it, and got stuck, though it seems like this route would work.
Using F=ma and trying to solve for the downward force in the y direction I get
F=-mg-.012v
F=-mg-.012(dx/dt)
Integral of F dt= -mg-integral .12 dx
From the looks of this, I think that setting up the differential equation was not the right step, and am still unsure where to go from here.

Could someone assure me that this problem is possible with the given information. I keep getting two variables, both unknown and no good substitutions.

1. What is the difference between work and energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, resulting in a change in the object's motion. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability of an object to do work. In other words, work is a process that involves energy, while energy is a property of an object.

2. How do you calculate the work done on an object?

The work done on an object is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the conservation of energy law in physics?

The conservation of energy law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time, even if it changes forms.

4. Can you explain the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Both types of energy are measured in joules (J) and can be converted into each other.

5. How do you solve for the velocity of an object using the energy equation?

The energy equation, also known as the work-energy theorem, states that the change in an object's kinetic energy is equal to the net work done on the object. This can be represented by the equation KE = Wnet = (1/2)mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity. To solve for the velocity, rearrange the equation to v = √(2KE/m).