Apostol 1st edition vs. 2nd edition

• Thread starter uman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apostol
In summary: Abebooks only sent me a refund for the purchase. :(In summary, the first edition of Apostol's Calculus is better than the second edition because it has linear algebra and the second edition is just a corrected version of the first edition.
uman
Hello all,

I've been reading Apostol's Calculus online (with Amazon's "search inside this book" feature - it's cumbersome but it works.) However, I recently decided to purchase the physical book. I got a very good deal from a used bookseller advertising the 2nd edition of the book (which I had been reading). However, the 1st edition of the book was shipped to me.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the differences are between these two books. Should I try to get my money back? Is the second edition much better than the first? What does it cover that the first doesn't (or vice versa)?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the key difference is that the 2nd edition has linear algebra. I could be wrong.

PowerIso is correct. LA has been added, and then the usual - exercises have been added, chapters rewritten for clarity, blah, blah. The last two chapters of Vol.1 reappear as the first two chapters of Vol.2.

Thanks for the help.

So, if I don't really need to learn linear algebra (I'm mainly focused on pure calculus for the moment), the first edition should suit me fine?

the first edition of every book is always better than any laler edition.

mathwonk said:
the first edition of every book is always better than any laler edition.

I always thought the second edition was always best. It seems like the authors agree too. It's written in the book how the second edition is normally just a correct version of the first edition with no typos and errors.

Thanks for the advice.

Why do you say that, mathwonk?

most books i know of are revised in order to please some group or satisfy some agenda different from the one that led the author to write the book. hence they are either dumbed down, as is the case with almost all non honors books in the US, or enlarged by including irrelevant but currently fashionable material like linear algebra, as is the case in apostol's book, as i recall.

the removal of errors is not even always done in later editions, as the authors prefer to expand rather than clean up what they have already done. the goal of all these changes is of course to create more sales, not to actually improve the book.

e.g. the best version of edwards and penney, now in its 7th edition or so, i.e. the book nearest the one intended by the authors, is the first edition. the same holds for thomas. a few authors like spivak, do not change their books much, and do attempt to remove blemishes.

i can also think of a few advanced books out there, which shall remain nameless, that contain some fairly serious errors, and which one would think would benefit from a revision, but which have never received one.

perhaps one exception is the complex differential manifolds book of ronnie wells, which was said to have received some useful corrections in its second edition.

Last edited:
Okay. So I didn't get ripped off :-). Thanks, Mathwonk.

You might want to make sure you weren't overcharged though. Many times later editions cost more than earlier, so maybe you can get some store credit. :)

I purchased the book for $12. I have been unable to find any first or second edition copy for cheaper than this.

uman said:
I purchased the book for $12. I have been unable to find any first or second edition copy for cheaper than this.

Haha wow, nice buy!

wow! that book is often going for like 50-100 dollars!

I know. Which is why I wasn't planning on sending it back unless I was told it was VASTLY INFERIOR and impossible to learn calculus from, which I kind of doubted to be honest.

Also this is only the first volume, but still really good deal.

it's probably a foreign edition. i got mine for like 15$ too

It was apparently "Manufactured in the United States of America", according to the copyright page. Hmm.

I've seen some for like 25 dollars, but then I notice they were being sold by an Indian company and the shipping cost would rise the cost a good bit. 15 bucks is a good find. Where did you get it?

abebooks.com

You can still find one on there for $12; apparently I didn't buy the last one.

Everyone who reads this thread be warned. I own both versions of both volumes and the second edition is much different. Especially in Vol II the approach is completely different (Prereqs from the first edition are now "special topics" in the 2nd edition). Overall the 2nd Edition is of both books are much easier to follow and the exercises are a lot easier. Chapters are also organized better. Also I do NOT recommend using Abebooks unless you know the seller. I tried buying Apostol's Mathematical Analysis for 25$ and it never came and I filled out a complaint through their site and have heard nothing back!

I've bought approx 15 books through Abebooks, all of them have arrived when they should.

Sad that you have had such bad experiencxe with the site, though

Haha you just revived a nine-month-old thread.

I'm already *done reading* the book I was asking about here.

Yeah (hilllllllllllarious)... I know, but believe it or not other people read this PUBLIC thread (sorry Mr. Ptolemy but the universe doesn't revolve around you). That is why I didn't address the post to you but rather to other readers who may be in the same situation.

Abebooks seems to have a good reputation around here so maybe I will try them again but I will make sure that the seller has a good rep.

Wow, jump down people's throats much?

I didn't mention that I finished reading the book to point out that your comment was useless to me (although it was), but to illustrate the age of this thread.

Oh Ok. I'll be more clear next time. I hope you enjoyed (or are still enjoying) the book. I'm working through it myself this summer to review and I'm previewing some of the Multivariable in Vol II as I go along.

What are the main differences between the 1st edition and 2nd edition of "Apostol"?

The 1st edition and 2nd edition of "Apostol" have several differences. Some of the main ones include:

• The 2nd edition has updated and expanded content, including new chapters and exercises.
  • The 2nd edition has improved explanations and examples.
  • The 2nd edition has corrected errors from the 1st edition.
  • The 2nd edition has a new modernized layout and design.
  • The 2nd edition has a new index for easier navigation.

Why was there a need for a 2nd edition of "Apostol"?

The 1st edition of "Apostol" was published in 1967 and since then, there have been advancements and developments in the field of mathematics. The 2nd edition was needed to update and improve the content to reflect these changes and provide a more comprehensive and accurate resource for readers.

Which edition of "Apostol" should I use for my studies?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you are looking for a more modern and updated version, then the 2nd edition would be a better choice. However, if you are studying a specific topic and the 1st edition covers it in sufficient detail, then it may be suitable for your studies.

Are there any notable differences in the organization of the 1st and 2nd edition of "Apostol"?

Yes, the 2nd edition has a slightly different organization compared to the 1st edition. Some chapters have been reorganized and new chapters have been added. Additionally, the layout and design have been updated for better readability.

Can I still use the 1st edition of "Apostol" if I have a 2nd edition textbook?

Yes, you can use the 1st edition if you have a 2nd edition textbook. However, you may encounter some differences in content and organization. It is recommended to use the same edition as your classmates or instructor for consistency and to ensure you have access to the same resources.