1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applcation of Differentiation

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    The question is as follows:

A rocket was launched straight up, and its altitude is given by h = 10 t2 m after t
    seconds. You are on the ground 300 m from the launch site watching the rocket going
    up. The line of sight from you to the rocket makes an angle θ with the horizontal. By
    how many radians per second is θ changing 10 seconds after the launch?

I guess my question is whether my understanding of the problem and working is correct. I'm not 100% confident on my process and my answer and am just wondering if I have missed anything important.

By working and answer is tagged below.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2
    Looks okay when my head is turned sideways. If you want to be picky, you could show working out for how you differentiated to get dh/dt. It's not necessary but the grader might deduct points off that, in which I had suffered first hand experience from that.

4. Apr 19, 2013 #3
    Ahhh yes thanks for that missed it, alright its just that 11degrees a second seems rather large??? I tried it another way and got d(theta)/d(t)=60*t/t^4+900.....then subbing t gives me d(theta)/d(t)=0.055046 degrees/sec??? doesn't this seem like a more likely answer?

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4
    I think the left side of your page should be dθ/dh

When t = 5 secs, h = 10(5)^2 = 250m
    When t = 10 secs, h = 1000m
    When t = 15 secs, h = 2250m
    When t = 20 secs, h = 4000m

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. Apr 19, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you post an image of your work, at least do us the courtesy of posting it right side up instead of rotated 90 deg.

7. Apr 28, 2013 #6
    Hi I think I am doing the same assignment as you. I got the same values that dh/dt= 20t, d(theta)/d(h)= 60t/t^4+900 and multiplying them gets d(theta)/d(t)= 1200/109. But I agree, I thought it was too high. But then i tried differentiating d(theta)/d(h) and then subing in h=10t^2 afterward and it got a much lower answer which i believe is correct. Because the origional way, we were differentiating dh/dt at the same time as d(theta)/d(h). DON'T FORGET TO CONVERT INTO RADIANS THOUGH! You didn't do this on the sheet. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted