Angle of Change: Rocket Launch 10 Seconds Later

In summary, the problem involves calculating the rate of change of an angle between a rocket launched vertically and a person on the ground 1000 feet away from the launch site. The solution involves using the derivative of arctan and the chain rule. The correct answer is 1/10 radians per second.
nefliege

Homework Statement

A rocket has launched straight up, and its altitude is h = 10t2
feet after t seconds. You are on the ground 1000 feet from the launch site. The line
of sight from you to the rocket makes an angle θ with the horizontal. By how many
Radians per second is θ changing ten seconds after the launch?

It's a problem form MIT OpenCourseWare, and I know the solution is given, but I did it my way and (suprisingly) it doesn't work. What did I wrong?
The answer is 1/10

It's not a homework question, but I didn't want to spoil your Mathematics section :)

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=20t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\theta=arctan\frac{h}{1000}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\theta=arctan\frac{h}{1000})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{h^{2}}{1000^2}}\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]
which is 100 ;/

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
nefliege said:

Homework Statement

A rocket has launched straight up, and its altitude is h = 10t2
feet after t seconds. You are on the ground 1000 feet from the launch site. The line
of sight from you to the rocket makes an angle θ with the horizontal. By how many
Radians per second is θ changing ten seconds after the launch?

It's a problem form MIT OpenCourseWare, and I know the solution is given, but I did it my way and (suprisingly) it doesn't work. What did I wrong?
The answer is 1/10

It's not a homework question, but I didn't want to spoil your Mathematics section :)

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=20t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\theta=arctan\frac{h}{1000}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\theta=arctan\frac{h}{1000})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{h^{2}}{1000^2}}\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]
which is 100 ;/

Thanks for any help :)
No, [itex]d \theta/dt[/itex] is a variable quantity. At t = 10 sec. dh/dt = 200 ft/sec, h = 1000 ft, and theta = pi/4. By your calculation, d(theta)/dt is 100 when t = 10 sec.

Your mistake is in your derivative of arctan(h/1000). You forgot to use the chain rule, so your value for the derivative is too large by a factor of 1000.

Your mistake is in your derivative of arctan(h/1000). You forgot to use the chain rule, so your value for the derivative is too large by a factor of 1000.
I'm so stupid ! the last part (dh/dt) should be:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{h}{1000})=\frac{1}{1000}\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]
Right ?
And thank you for help :) I'd been already really upset; I thought the whole solution was wrong and didn't know why.

And of course "100" was only when t=10s. I just hadn't written it.

1. What is the angle of change during a rocket launch 10 seconds later?

The angle of change during a rocket launch 10 seconds later depends on various factors such as the rocket's thrust, weight, and external forces. It can vary greatly depending on the specific launch and trajectory of the rocket.

2. How does the angle of change affect the rocket's trajectory?

The angle of change plays a crucial role in determining the rocket's trajectory. A small change in angle can result in a significant shift in the rocket's path, potentially causing it to miss its intended target or orbit.

3. Can the angle of change be controlled during a rocket launch?

Yes, the angle of change can be controlled to some extent during a rocket launch. It is carefully planned and adjusted by the rocket's guidance and control systems to achieve the desired trajectory.

4. What factors can influence the angle of change during a rocket launch?

Several factors can influence the angle of change during a rocket launch, including the rocket's design, weight distribution, and external forces such as wind and air resistance. The rocket's engines and guidance systems also play a significant role in controlling the angle of change.

5. How does the angle of change affect the rocket's speed?

The angle of change can affect the rocket's speed by either increasing or decreasing it. A steep angle of change can result in a faster acceleration, while a shallow angle can slow down the rocket's speed. The angle of change is often adjusted to achieve the desired speed and velocity during a rocket launch.