1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rate Problem (Involving Trig.)

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rocket is moving into the air with a height function given by h(t) = 200t^2. A camera located 150 m away from the launch site is filming the launch. How fast must the angle of the camera be changing with respect to the horizontal 4 seconds after liftoff?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If we create a diagram, we will see that
    tan(θ)=(200t^2)/150 or (4t^2)/3

Differentiating with respect to t,

sec^2(θ)dθ/dt=8t/3 which becomes dθ/dt=8t/3 * cos^2(θ)

At t=4s, tan(θ)=64/3, and then by sinθ=cosθtanθ, we know sinθ=(64/3)cosθ

Then by sin^2(θ)+cos^2(θ)=1, we know that cos^2(θ)=9/4105

Now evaluating the derivative at t=4s, we obtain dθ/dt=96/4105 rad/s≈0.0234 rad/s

I would just like to know if all my steps are accurate, and if my final answer is correct, or if I made an error along the way, leading to an incorrect result?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks OK to me. You could have saved a couple of calculations by using ##\sec^2\theta=1+\tan^2\theta## instead of messing with the sines and cosines.

4. May 15, 2013 #3
    Okay thanks, and I completely forgot about that identity when doing this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted