Applications of man-made "hybrid fibers" like capture silk?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential real-world applications and uses of spider silk and the development of silk through various methods. The potential uses of spider silk in manufacturing and composite materials are mentioned, and the idea of using hybrid fibers to achieve better mechanical properties is also brought up. Additionally, a link to a blog post discussing hybrid composites and silk fibers is provided for further reading.
LiamG_G
I have read this paper "http://www.pnas.org/content/113/22/6143.full" and while I found it intersting, there isn't much discussion on the future applications of the new developments (unless I zoned out and passed over it, always a possibility).
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to what some of the real-world uses could be.
Thanks

Likes hsdrop
Engineering news on Phys.org
Same as any use for any fibre, man made or otherwise.
Also the theory that is developed for these kinds of fibers could be useful in other areas of manufacturing so, even if the fibres in question never see practical application, the research is still used. And even if the theory proves impractical in application - then a whole fruitless branch of inquiry has been ruled out.
Whatever - it will mean better understanding of spiders.

Spider silk has a lot of properties that would be neat in a man-made fibre. There are lots of articles about this online - not just the one you cited.
Is there any particular reason you were wondering about possible applications in this specific case?

LiamG_G said:
I have read this paper "http://www.pnas.org/content/113/22/6143.full" and while I found it intersting, there isn't much discussion on the future applications of the new developments (unless I zoned out and passed over it, always a possibility).
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to what some of the real-world uses could be.
Thanks
here is another interesting this that we are doing to mass produce silk and in shere that this well not be the end of this kind of apalachin for producing differnc kinds of silk in mass amounts Scientists breed goats that produce spider silk

Fibers are as reinforcements in composite and a composite is essentially designed to achieve better overall mechanical properties. while I do not know whether silk has been tried in a composite, but basically hybrid fibers are usually employed to 'achieve better overall mechanical properties' such as reduced weight, greater toughness and tensile strength. Also from a commercial standpoint, hybrid fibers are often employed to reduce the cost as in case of using glass fibers with carbon fibers; glass fibers are cheaper than carbon fibers and also add a lit bit of toughness.
If you are more interested, you might want to check this out
https://thematerialsbard.blogspot.com/2016/11/hybrid-composites-and-silk-fibers.html

What are hybrid fibers made of?

Hybrid fibers are man-made materials that are composed of a combination of natural and synthetic fibers. These fibers can include materials such as cotton, polyester, and nylon, among others.

What are the advantages of using hybrid fibers?

Hybrid fibers offer a range of advantages, including increased durability, strength, and flexibility. They also have the ability to combine the desirable properties of different fibers, making them suitable for a variety of applications.

What are some common applications of hybrid fibers like capture silk?

Hybrid fibers, such as capture silk, have a wide range of applications, including use in clothing, medical devices, and even construction materials. They are also commonly used in sports equipment, such as tennis rackets and golf clubs.

How are hybrid fibers produced?

The production of hybrid fibers involves combining different raw materials, typically through a spinning process. The fibers are then woven or knit together to create a final product with the desired properties.

What makes capture silk unique compared to other hybrid fibers?

Capture silk is a specific type of hybrid fiber that is known for its exceptional strength and durability. It is also biodegradable and has anti-bacterial properties, making it a sustainable and environmentally-friendly option for various applications.