Understanding SHM: Solving Difficult Homework Problems

In summary: Graph.The radius line is 120 degrees before that of X, that is Y is at the two o'clock position in my...Graph.In summary, the student is having difficulty solving a problem involving the displacement - time graph of X and Y. He tried replacing the angle given in the equation with 2 and obtained the same answer. He is having difficulty understanding the problem.
PhysicStud01

Homework Statement

question.png

Homework Equations

the equation is given in the question

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried replacing the 2/3 pi rad as the cos argument and i obtained 2. but the mark scheme says that the position is 3cm above AB.

in the next part, we have a phase diff of 4/3 pi and i again obtained 2 but the MS still says 3cm above AB. can someone help. am i doing a mistake here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello PS,

Could you type out the essential, concise, complete problem statement and select which of the equations you want to use in solvig it / And then post your work, please ?

My magnifying glass doesn't allow me to read the small print, and besides, it would take away too much time away from helping others.

BvU said:
Hello PS,

Could you type out the essential, concise, complete problem statement and select which of the equations you want to use in solvig it / And then post your work, please ?

My magnifying glass doesn't allow me to read the small print, and besides, it would take away too much time away from helping others.
could yiou try dragging the picture into another tab and enlarge it.
i uploaded it with an appropriate size but it's not appearing correctly here.

it's question 3 part b at
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/173453412/9702_w10_qp_43

Last edited by a moderator:
And what is the problem statement when you reproduce it ? (see the guidelines: it helps you too -- to focus and order your thinking)

BvU said:
And what is the problem statement when you reproduce it ? (see the guidelines: it helps you too -- to focus and order your thinking)
i could work out the in-between questions.
for the part I'm having problems, i replaced the angle given in the equation given in the question and i obtained 2. the answer says it's 3cb above AB.

i checked again and there don't seem to be a problem with my solution, in my opinion

See the guidelines. O&O.

i did it and still can't understand the problem

Make a rough drawing of the displacement - time graph of X and post it please.

andrevdh said:
Make a rough drawing of the displacement - time graph of X and post it please.
i already understand how the graph is. its a -cos with height 4
question1.png

How would the graph look with respect to the previous one if it was leading with say π radians?
That is the phase difference between the two is π radians, with the 2nd one leading?
Maybe draw in pencil and post the photo.
This might be clearer to you:
P4140015.JPG

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
How would the graph look with respect to the previous one if it was leading with say π radians?
That is the phase difference between the two is π radians, with the 2nd one leading?
Maybe draw in pencil and post the photo.
question1.png

in red.

also, i don't know how to do it by calculation. i tried but did not get the asnwer as i said previously. try to help with this too

Look at the photo in my previous post.
Do that make any sense to you?

andrevdh said:
Look at the photo in my previous post.
Do that make any sense to you?
could you relate it to the type of graph i drew please

The radius line is rotating at a constant speed anti-clockwise.
It projection on the y-axis is the displacement of the piston.
At time zero X is at the bottom.

andrevdh said:
The radius line is rotating at a constant speed anti-clockwise.
It projection on the y-axis is the displacement of the piston.
At time zero X is at the bottom.
yeah, but how does that make the position of Y be 3cm above AB.
and the same is obtained if the angle is 4pi / 3

could do it it by calculation please. this part actually scores only 1 mark, so i think it should be very simple but i can't get it.

The phase difference between the two is Φ = (2π)/3 rad.
That is the meaning of the other two lines.

andrevdh said:
The phase difference between the two is Φ = (2π)/3 rad.
That is the meaning of the other two lines.
but how do i obtained the distance traveled / position of the piston?
AB and CD are separated by 8cm. the amplitude of the oscillation is 4.0cm.

when phase difference is pi, when one is at AB, the other is at CD, right?

That would be if the phase difference was π, which it is not.

andrevdh said:
That would be if the phase difference was π, which it is not.
yeah, but its 120, it's greater than 90, so, it should be greater than 4cm and it's less than 180, so, the distance should be less than 8cmcould you tell me how to do this by calculation please. i really need to understand this quick

Yes, so the radius line is 120 degrees before that of X, that is Y is at the two o'clock position in my drawing.

andrevdh said:
Yes, so the radius line is 120 degrees before that of X, that is Y is at the two o'clock position in my drawing.
but how do i identify the position form this.
i used the formula given in the question, but it's not giving the correct answer

The general formula looks like this to compensate for a phase difference, Φ,

y = ym cos(ωt+Φ)

or the sine function is used. In this case the phase difference is 2π/3

andrevdh said:
The general formula looks like this to compensate for a phase difference, Φ,

y = ym cos(ωt+Φ)

or the sine function is used. In this case the phase difference is 2π/3
i used it but obtianed 2 instead of 3

i put t = 0

Yes, that is what I get too.

andrevdh said:
Yes, that is what I get too.
has anyone tried it too?

plus, does it not look wild for a phase difference of 120 to be only 2 or 3 when a phase difference of 180 correponds to a distance of 8.0cm

additoinally, I've been thinking about this. the displacement obtained from the equation, it's from the equilibrium position, right? not from AB. then, the 2.0cm obtained is actually from equilibrium position, and 4+2 = 6cm from AB?

1. What are some real-life applications of SHM that are considered difficult?

Some of the most challenging applications of SHM include earthquake monitoring and prediction, structural health monitoring of large buildings and bridges, and tracking the motion of satellites in space. These applications require precise and advanced techniques to accurately measure and analyze the complex vibrations.

2. How do scientists and engineers overcome the difficulties in applying SHM?

To overcome the difficulties in applying SHM, scientists and engineers use advanced technologies such as sensors, data processing algorithms, and computer simulations. They also conduct extensive research and experiments to better understand the behavior of different systems under vibration and develop more accurate and efficient methods for SHM.

3. What are some common challenges faced in SHM applications?

Some common challenges in SHM applications include noise and interference in data collection, non-linear and complex behavior of some systems, and the need for specialized equipment and training. Additionally, the interpretation and analysis of data collected from SHM can also be challenging and require advanced mathematical and statistical techniques.

4. How does SHM help in improving safety and reliability?

SHM plays a crucial role in improving safety and reliability in many industries and applications. By continuously monitoring the vibrations and performance of systems, SHM can detect any changes or anomalies that may indicate potential failures. This allows for timely maintenance and repairs, preventing catastrophic failures and ensuring the safety and reliability of the system.

5. What are some future developments in SHM that could make it easier to apply?

Some future developments in SHM include the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques to automate data analysis and improve accuracy and efficiency. New sensor technologies and wireless communication systems also have the potential to make SHM easier to apply in remote and hard-to-reach locations. Additionally, advancements in data storage and processing capabilities will allow for the collection and analysis of larger and more complex datasets, enabling more comprehensive and accurate SHM.