Calculating the Period of SHM for a Suspended Cubical Box

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1bigman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube Edge Shm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
1bigman
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


We have a cubical hollow box, edge length ##a## suspended horizontally from a frictionless hinge along one of its edges. The box is displaced slightly and undergoes SHM. Show that the period of the oscillation is given by ## T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{7\sqrt{2}a}{9g}} ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



##E_{tot} = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 + mg\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2a}\cos\theta\right) ##Then apply taylor expansion and differentiate to get: ## \ddot\theta = \frac{mga}{\sqrt{2}I} \theta ## and using ##I = \frac{2}{3}ma^2## gives ##T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{2\sqrt{2}a}{3g}}##

Help is much appreciated
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, turns out the moment of inertia was incorrect...