Applying D'Alembert's principle to a bead on an elliptical hoop

In summary: I'm struggling with your notation. You seem to use ";" both for dot products and for separating elements of a vector.Having to guess how you will correct the error I indicated above adds further uncertainty.The ##\vec{\delta r}## vector should be tangential to the hoop, no?
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
A bead of mass ##m## is placed on a vertically oriented elliptical hoop. The mass is attached to a spring of constant ##k## with its end in one of the foci. Find the equations of motion using D'Alembert's principle.
Relevant Equations
D'Alembert's principle
##F_E=-kd##, ##d##: distance between mass and end of the spring
Hi
I've written D'Alembert's principle as you can see in the attached files. I computed the virtual work done by the weight and the elastic force (since the work done by the normal force is zero) and then I used the fundamental hypothesis, which states that the constraint forces can be written as the gradient of the holonomic constraints and the virtual work is zero.
The equation gets ugly, so I want to know if it's okay.

Attachments

• Physics forum 2.png
    Physics forum 2.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Physics forum 1.png
    Physics forum 1.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you get terms like ##kd\sin(\theta)##.
The spring is attached to a focus, not to the centre of the ellipse.

haruspex said:
I don't understand how you get terms like ##kd\sin(\theta)##.
The spring is attached to a focus, not to the centre of the ellipse.
Maybe I made a mistake, but I think it's possible to write its radial and transversal components using trigonometry

Like Tony Stark said:
Maybe I made a mistake, but I think it's possible to write its radial and transversal components using trigonometry
Your working suggests you are defining d as the distance from the point of attachment, i.e. a focus. The magnitude of the force is therefore kd. But the diagram shows theta as the angle around the centre of the ellipse, not the angle the string subtends to the x axis.

It might clarify matters if you were to include the string in the diagram.

haruspex said:
Your working suggests you are defining d as the distance from the point of attachment, i.e. a focus. The magnitude of the force is therefore kd. But the diagram shows theta as the angle around the centre of the ellipse, not the angle the string subtends to the x axis.

It might clarify matters if you were to include the string in the diagram.
Ok
But apart from the elastic force, is the solution ok?

Like Tony Stark said:
Ok
But apart from the elastic force, is the solution ok?
I'm struggling with your notation. You seem to use ";" both for dot products and for separating elements of a vector.
Having to guess how you will correct the error I indicated above adds further uncertainty.
The ##\vec{\delta r}## vector should be tangential to the hoop, no? I don't understand how you dealt with that. It imposes a relationship between ##\delta r## and ##\delta\theta##.

Last edited:

1. What is D'Alembert's principle?

D'Alembert's principle is a fundamental law in classical mechanics that states that the sum of the external forces acting on a system, and the inertial forces of the system, is equal to the mass of the system multiplied by its acceleration.

2. How is D'Alembert's principle applied to a bead on an elliptical hoop?

In the case of a bead on an elliptical hoop, D'Alembert's principle can be used to determine the equations of motion for the bead by considering the external forces, such as gravity and tension, and the inertial forces, such as centrifugal and Coriolis forces, acting on the bead.

3. What are the assumptions made when applying D'Alembert's principle to a bead on an elliptical hoop?

The main assumptions are that the bead is a point mass, the hoop is rigid, and the bead moves without slipping on the hoop. Additionally, the hoop is assumed to be an idealized elliptical shape with no imperfections or deformations.

4. Can D'Alembert's principle be applied to other systems besides a bead on an elliptical hoop?

Yes, D'Alembert's principle can be applied to any system in which the external forces and inertial forces can be determined. It is commonly used in the analysis of mechanical systems, such as pulleys, pendulums, and springs.

5. What are the advantages of using D'Alembert's principle in analyzing a bead on an elliptical hoop?

D'Alembert's principle allows for a simplified analysis of the complex motion of the bead on an elliptical hoop. It also provides a systematic approach for determining the equations of motion, making it easier to solve for the bead's position and velocity at any given time.