Approximating a Simple Harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving Newton's second law of motion and the use of trigonometric functions to find the angular acceleration. The solution presented in the answer archives is found to be faulty due to typing errors and incorrect signs. The correct solution is provided and confirmed to be dimensionally consistent.
hms.tech

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the first three parts . The last part of this question is quite hard, i tried using Newton's 2nd law of motion but ... here is what happens :

T is the tension, as stated in the question .

so the equation of motion should be :

T cos([itex]\varphi[/itex]) = m a
Since [itex]\varphi[/itex] = pi/2 -2θ
so using some simplification we get cos[itex]\varphi[/itex]=sin(2θ)

Now, since θ is small sin(2θ) can be approximated to 2θ.

so : [itex]\frac{2Tθ}{m}[/itex] = a

for angular acceleration = α

so, α = [itex]\frac{2Tθ}{mr}[/itex]
r= a meters (the radius)

final answer (which is wrong) α = [itex]\frac{2Tθ}{ma}[/itex]

Note : a is acceleration
a is the radius given in the question
α is the angular acceleration
The correct answer given in the answer archives is :
α = -2Tθ (whoa...where did the -ve sign come from :S)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look's like a typing error in writing the denominator above.
α = -2Tθ (whoa...where did the -ve sign come from :S)

(Again, a typing error? The dimensions on each side do not match.)

Did you take into account the direction of the force T cos([itex]\varphi[/itex])? Is it in the positive or negative direction of motion?

TSny said:
Look's like a typing error in writing the denominator above.

(Again, a typing error? The dimensions on each side do not match.)

Did you take into account the direction of the force T cos([itex]\varphi[/itex])? Is it in the positive or negative direction of motion?

No there is no typing error, i just rechecked the solution archive, it is exactly as i wrote it !

I really can't say anything about its direction since i have not defined them yet.
Lets do that ! For the tension
Let the clockwise tangent be -ve and the tangent which points in the anti clockwise direction be positive !
Now let's check :
Tension is -ve for the first part of its journey (as shown in the diagram see 1st post) while at the same time the displacement (angular) is positive. Well that solves the PHYSICS of the problem. I really can't see , in all honesty, how does mathematics prove the exact same thing. in other words, i understand why there must be a -ve sign in the equation but i can't prove it using the mathematical model . Can u help me there ?

hms.tech said:
No there is no typing error, i just rechecked the solution archive, it is exactly as i wrote it !
Your final answer:
α = [itex]\frac{2Tθ}{ma}[/itex]
cannot be correct because the right side does not have dimensions of angular acceleration. I think you meant to write ##r## instead of ##a## in the denominator.

Likewise, the equation you stated as the solution from the archives:
α = -2Tθ
cannot be correct for the same reason.

Regarding the signs, let ##\textbf{u}_{\theta}## be a unit vector tangent to the circle in the counterclockwise direction. Project Newton's second law ##\textbf{F}_{net} = m\textbf{a}## along ##\textbf{u}_{\theta}##. You should find ##\textbf{F}_{net}\cdot\textbf{u}_{\theta}=-Tsin(2\theta)## which is negative for positive θ and positive for negative θ.

hms.tech said:
so, α = [itex]\frac{2Tθ}{mr}[/itex]
r= a meters (the radius)

Note : a is acceleration
a is the radius given in the question
α is the angular acceleration

Understandable, my presentation is confusing, that is why you misunderstood my approach.

The variable "r" has a value of "a" in this situation. (both of them are just lengths and have dimensions of length)

Thanks for the explaining about the mathematical model for the signs .

At least now you do agree that my solution is dimensionally consistent !

I would like you to check my entire solution as presented in the first post and confirm whether its true. If yes, then we would have to agree that this archive is faulty .

hms.tech said:
The variable "r" has a value of "a" in this situation. (both of them are just lengths and have dimensions of length)

Ah, my mistake! Thanks for setting me straight. (I was reading "a" as linear acceleration.)
At least now you do agree that my solution is dimensionally consistent !
I would like you to check my entire solution as presented in the first post and confirm whether its true.

Yes, your answer is correct except I would include the negative sign to show that the angular acceleration is negative when the angle is positive.

If yes, then we would have to agree that this archive is faulty .
Agreed.

Related to Approximating a Simple Harmonic motion

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you calculate the period of a Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of a Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

3. What is the equation for displacement in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for displacement in Simple Harmonic Motion is x = Acos(ωt), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium), ω is the angular frequency (2π/T), and t is time.

4. How does amplitude affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of a Simple Harmonic Motion determines the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude will result in a greater displacement and a longer period of oscillation, while a smaller amplitude will result in a smaller displacement and a shorter period of oscillation.

5. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Damped Harmonic Motion?

The main difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Damped Harmonic Motion is that in Damped Harmonic Motion, there is a damping force present that causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time. In Simple Harmonic Motion, there is no damping force and the amplitude remains constant.