Approximating PI: Int. of x^4(1-x)^4/(1+x^2)= 22/7 - Pi

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zadey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Zadey
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Approximating PI Show that [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{1}{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}[/tex]dx=[tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]-[tex]\Pi[/tex] Why does this imply that [tex]\Pi[/tex][tex]\triangleleft[/tex][tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]


I have no clue where to begin with this, I'm at a loss, this is one of the questions for in my university project, first year. Any help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating the integral would probably be a good start.

What's the numerical value of the integral? Is it a big number or a small number? Is it positive or negative?
 
I have no clue where to begin with this, I'm at a loss, this is one of the questions for in my university project, first year. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to PF, Zadey.


To evaluate [tex]\int_0^1 \frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}\,dx[/tex]

multiply out the numerator, then use long division, then integrate from 0 to 1.
 
Once you have done the integral and derived the result shown, if [itex]\pi[/itex] were greater than 22/7, the integral would be negative.
 
Thanks, I got it. Don't know why I didin't see it earlier.
Now if I had to find the maximum of the numerator, how would I go about using it to show that [tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]<[tex]\frac{\pi}{1024}[/tex]<[tex]\frac{1}{100}[/tex] and how does it imply that the approximation [tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]is accurate to 2 decimal places? I know that the [tex]\frac{1}{100}[/tex] would be used to imply that its accurate to 2 decimal places but how it does I'm not sure.