Approximating the "Tail" of a Series

• Thread starter workerant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses how to approximate the "tail" of a series using an appropriate improper integral or geometric series. The participants consider using an improper integral for either the original series or a modified version, and also discuss the maximum error that can be expected when using this method. They also mention the option of using a geometric series for the modified version of the series.
workerant
[SOLVED] Approximating the "Tail" of a Series

Homework Statement

I need to estimate the tail, which is

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from n=6 to infinity) (4-sin n)/(n^2+1)

It says to do this with an appropriate improper integral or geometric series.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see a geometric series helping here, so I would use an improper integral. It is too difficult to integrate (4-sin n)/(n^2+1) (if it's even possible), so I'm stuck here. If this can be integrated, please show me the way. I was thinking perhaps do an improper integral for series of 5/n^2 instead since that is always larger (i.e. if you write 4+/- 1)/(n^2+1) instead. Would this be appropriate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well yes but I would rather do the improper integral for [tex]\frac{4}{n^2+1}[/tex] because the sine will keep alternating between positive and negative, roughly canceling out each others effects, and also why neglect the +1 in the denominator if we don't have to? Integrating is simple now. We can see that when taking the improper integral, the absolute maximum error extracting the sine is about 0.165, since the sine function has a upper bound of 1, so the maximum error would be [tex]\int^{\infty}_6 \frac{1}{x^2+1} dx[/tex] which is about 0.165. In reality it is much less sine the sine alternates between positive and negative, its less than 0.03.

However, if we were to ignore the +1 in the denominator as well, we would get [tex]4\sum_{n=6}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] which is simple if you know [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]. This method gets you about 0.725..

Thanks!

how exactly do you calculate this error? I understand everythign else such as choice of improper integral, but I don't get where your getting the numbers for the error, is it strictly the value of the improper integral?

1. What is "approximating the "tail" of a series"?

"Approximating the "tail" of a series" refers to estimating the remaining values in a series or sequence beyond a certain point. It is often used in mathematics and statistics to predict the behavior of a series and make informed decisions based on the available data."

2. Why is approximating the "tail" of a series important?

Approximating the "tail" of a series can provide valuable insights and help in making accurate predictions about the future behavior of the series. It can also help in identifying patterns and trends in the data that may not be evident in the initial portion of the series.

3. How is the "tail" of a series approximated?

The "tail" of a series can be approximated using various mathematical techniques such as extrapolation, interpolation, and regression analysis. These methods involve using the existing data to make predictions about the future values of the series.

4. What are some potential limitations of approximating the "tail" of a series?

One potential limitation is that the accuracy of the approximation heavily relies on the available data and assumptions made about the behavior of the series. Another limitation is that unforeseen events or changes in the underlying factors of the series can significantly impact the accuracy of the approximation.

5. How can one improve the accuracy of approximating the "tail" of a series?

To improve the accuracy of approximating the "tail" of a series, it is essential to use a combination of different methods and techniques, validate the results against historical data, and adjust the assumptions as needed. It is also crucial to regularly review and update the approximation as more data becomes available.