Arbitrary choice of origin when linear momentum is zero

In summary, the textbook states that if the total linear momentum of a system of particles is zero, then the angular momentum of the system is independent of the choice of origin. This has been given without proof and the individual has been trying to understand why this is the case, particularly from an intuitive perspective. They suggest trying a calculation using a constant displacement of the origin and note that this should result in a zero total angular momentum. However, they are still unsure of the underlying reason behind this.
Zorba
I read the following in a textbook I'm reading:

If the total linear momentum of a system of particles is zero, then the angular momentum of the system is independent of the choice of origin.

It was given without proof and I've been trying to see why this is the case - mainly intuitively speaking, as it doesn't seem entirely obvious to me, if anyone can provide any insight.
Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would memorize it best, if you do the calculation by yourself :)
Try pluging in [itex]\vec{r}'=\vec{r}+\vec{a}[/itex] into the definition of angular momentum and see if [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] cancels given [itex]\sum m_i v_i=0[/itex] (zero total momentum).

[tex]\displaystyle \Sigma \Right ( r_i \times m_i v_i \Left ) - \Sigma \Right ( (r_i + \alpha_i) \times m_i v_i \Left )[/tex]
which gives
[tex]\Sigma \Right ( \alpha_i \times m_i v_i \Left )[/tex]
not sure why this should be zero though?

"a" ist a constant displacement of origin which is the same for all point. Take it out of the sum.

Ah yes, although the mathematical solution still doesn't lend much to the intuitive reason behind it at all tbh.

1. What is an arbitrary choice of origin when linear momentum is zero?

An arbitrary choice of origin refers to the selection of a specific point or location from which to measure the position and motion of an object. When the linear momentum of an object is zero, it means that there is no net movement in any direction, and therefore the choice of origin will not affect the overall measurement of the object's position and motion.

2. Why is an arbitrary choice of origin important when studying linear momentum?

An arbitrary choice of origin is important because it allows for consistent and accurate measurements of an object's position and motion. By choosing a fixed point from which to measure, scientists can easily compare and analyze the linear momentum of different objects without any discrepancies or inconsistencies.

3. How does the choice of origin affect the calculation of linear momentum?

The choice of origin does not affect the actual calculation of linear momentum, as it is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object. However, the choice of origin can affect the direction and sign of the calculated linear momentum, which is why it is important to establish a consistent and agreed-upon origin when conducting experiments or making calculations.

4. Can the choice of origin be changed once it has been established?

Yes, the choice of origin can be changed, but it is important to do so carefully and with consideration. If the origin is changed after data has been collected, it may affect the accuracy and validity of the results. In some cases, it may be necessary to re-calculate the linear momentum with the new origin in order to ensure consistency and accuracy.

5. How can an arbitrary choice of origin be determined in an experiment?

An arbitrary choice of origin can be determined by considering the objects involved in the experiment and selecting a point that is convenient and easily recognizable. For example, in a collision experiment, the origin may be chosen at the point of impact between two objects. It is also important to communicate and agree upon the choice of origin with other scientists or team members to ensure consistency in measurements and calculations.