Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc Length in Polar Coordinates

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    In the polar formula for arc length, [tex]ds^{2}=dr^{2}+r^{2}d{\theta}^{2}[/tex], what is the exact meaning of the [tex]r^2[/tex] term multiplying [tex]d{\theta}^2[/tex]? Is it an initial distance from the origin? A final distance from the origin? The change in r from point a to point b? This baffles me to no end and nothing explains it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2
    God I hate this stuff. But after you use it, you kind of realize how much effort it saves.

This is the meaning of that rather "disembodied" statement.

Let's draw a curve through space. And now let's parametrize that curve with a parameter t. So along this path, [tex]r=\tilda r(t), \ \ \theta = \tilda \theta (t)[/tex].
    Then the arclength satisfies the following 'differential' equation:

[tex] (\frac{ds}{dt})^2 = (\frac{d\ r (t)}{dt})^2 + r^2 (\frac{d\ \theta (t)}{dt})^2 [/tex]

I've included the (t) thing to make the method of calculation explicit. You literally differentiate the function r(t) wrt t. r=r(t) is a horrible abuse of notation that actually gets me confused from time to time but...it saves a lot of time too. Haha.

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    Do you mean a geometric reason, or an analytic reason?

To see how it got there, just consider the following:

[tex]
    dS = \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dy}{dx})^2}
    [/tex]

Let [tex] y = r \sin \theta[/tex] and [tex] x = r \cos \theta [/tex] and work it out and you'll get your r^2 factor on the [tex]d\theta[/tex]

5. May 29, 2010 #4
    I mean a geometric reason; the derivation is no problem.

6. May 29, 2010 #5
    It gives the arclength gained by increasing r by dr and theta by dtheta.

[tex]
    (\frac{ds}{dt})^2 = (\frac{d\ r (t)}{dt})^2 + r^2 (\frac{d\ \theta (t)}{dt})^2
    [/tex]
    So yes, the r^2 corresponds to how far you are from the origin.
    Think about small curves on a sphere. If your r is large, then your ds is going to be larger, for a given dtheta.

7. Jun 7, 2010 #6
    Let's take an example: suppose I am moving from the polar point [tex](2, \frac{\pi}{4})[/tex] to [tex](3, \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]. Would my distance traveled be [tex]1+\frac{{\pi}^{2}}{4}[/tex]?

8. Jun 8, 2010 #7
    No, the relation you stated in the beginning is a differential relation, meaning it is good only for really close points. (It's like a taylor expansion)

Otherwise you need to develope a formula using trigonometry or using the definition of distance via cartesian coordinates then substituting with polar coordinates.

Back to your original question: dtheta denotes a change in the angle. But as you may know, the angle between two rays doesn't depend on their length. So the information of the angle itself doesn't give you a measure of distance. At small distances from the origin, taking a small angle difference will give you a small distance (the arc of a small circle). At large distances, taking a small angle step will give you a larger distance.
    Therefore the r dependence comes in.

9. Jun 10, 2010 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3151/arcy.jpg [Broken]

Differentiable curves exhibit local linearity, so if we zoom up to infinitesimal scales the curve is approximately a straight line. We wish to find the infinitesimal increments of the arc length of the curve between polar coordinates [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] and [itex](r+dr, \theta + d\theta)[/itex].

By the Pythagorean theorem, [itex]ds^2 = dr^2 + (ab)^2[/itex], but the length of the line segment ab can be approximated by the length of the arc that passes through a and b of the circle centered at the origin of radius r. The length of this arc is given by [itex]r d\theta[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook