1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length problem with a thorny integration

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So, the question gives a particle travelling over a path [itex]\gamma[/itex], and I need the arc length.

2. Relevant equations

The path is [itex]\gamma(t) : [1,4] \to ℝ^3, t \mapsto (t^2/2, t, ln(2t))[/itex].

We want the arc length over [itex]1 \le t \le 4[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

First, the speed differential: [itex] ds = \left\| \gamma'(t) \right\| dt = \sqrt{t^2 + 1 + 1 /t^2} dt [/itex]

Now, the arc length. [itex]\ell = \int_\gamma ds = \int_1^4 \sqrt{t^2 + 1 + 1 /t^2}dt[/itex].

But that's where the fun ends. I've tried a bunch of trig substitutions (e.g. [itex]t=\tan u[/itex]), to no avail.

I also tried Wolfram online integrator, which returned a mess of symbols -- this problem should have a (reasonably) simple analytic solution.

Any ideas, anyone? I'd really appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Didn't you notice that [itex]t^2+ 1+ 1/t^2= t^2+ 2+ 1/t^2- 1= (t+ 1/t)^2- 1[/itex]?

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3
    I had, but didn't realise it would help. I'll play around and see what I can come up with. :)

Thankyou for the quick response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook