Archimedes Principle and hanging block

In summary, the question presents a scenario where a block is hanging from a spring balance and submerged in liquid in a beaker. The mass of the beaker and liquid are given, as well as the readings on two spring balances. The volume of the block is also provided. The first part of the problem asks for the density of the liquid, and the second part asks for the readings on the balances if the block is pulled out of the liquid. There is some confusion in the conversation about the calculation of the block's weight and the weight of the displaced liquid, but eventually a solution is reached. However, the values given in the problem may not be realistic, as they seem to suggest that the block displaces a volume of liquid equal to
pat666

Homework Statement

9. Block A hangs by a cord from spring balance D and is submerged in a liquid C contained in beaker B. The mass of the beaker is 1.00 kg; the mass of the liquid is 1.80 kg. Balance D reads 3.50 kg, and balance E reads 7.50 kg. The volume of block A is 3.80  10-3 m3.
(a) What is the density of the liquid?
(b) What will each balance read if block A is pulled up out of the liquid?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure on a) i found the up thrust to be 8.2KG? then that is equal to the mass t of liquid displaced. rho=m/v i found the density to be 2158Kg/m^3
Part b was easier- still need someone to check
m_D=7.5-1-1.8
m_D=4.7Kg

m_A=7.5-4.7
m_A=2.8Kg ??

Attachments

• PF.doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 227
Physics news on Phys.org
pat666 said:
not sure on a) i found the up thrust to be 8.2KG?
Show how you determined the buoyant force.

first i found the mass of just the block that was read on scale A which was (7.5-1-1.8) then i added the tension that was supported by the spring which was 3.5kg. that came out to 8.2Kg

pat666 said:
first i found the mass of just the block that was read on scale A which was (7.5-1-1.8)
That won't give you the mass of the block.
then i added the tension that was supported by the spring which was 3.5kg. that came out to 8.2Kg
Hint: The amount of the block's weight that the scale reads equals its mass minus the amount supported by the spring. What does that represent?

yeah i understand that it won't give the actual weight of the block (thats why my part b) has a different answer) I thought that what i did would give the "apparent weight" but now i think that that is wrong... should it be
7.5-2.8-3.5=1.2Kg ??

the actual weight of the block is D + E = Mbeaker + M liquid + Mblock
Mblock = 11 - 2.8 = 8.2kg
that should give the actual weight of the block??
so then the upthrust is 8.2kg-3.5kg=4.7Kg
then that's equal to the weight of the water displaced
form there rho = m/v
rho=1236.84kg/m^3? please reply when you have a chance i need to know if what I am doing is right.. thanks

pat666 said:
the actual weight of the block is D + E = Mbeaker + M liquid + Mblock
Mblock = 11 - 2.8 = 8.2kg
that should give the actual weight of the block??
so then the upthrust is 8.2kg-3.5kg=4.7Kg
then that's equal to the weight of the water displaced
form there rho = m/v
rho=1236.84kg/m^3? please reply when you have a chance i need to know if what I am doing is right.. thanks
Much better!

ok thank for your help
so the spring balance will read 8.2Kg and the scale will read 2.8Kg?

Right.

cool thanks again

Hey guys,

can someone explain to me how the weight or liquid displaced is 4.7kg when the total weight of the liquid is 1.8kg?

cheers

ombudsmansect said:
can someone explain to me how the weight or liquid displaced is 4.7kg when the total weight of the liquid is 1.8kg?
The volume of liquid displaced equals the volume of the object. What's the weight of that volume of displaced liquid? (The actual amount of liquid in the beaker is not relevant. The diagram may not be to scale.)

for this to be true the values used for this question must be wrong... quittteeee wrong...for this to be true the volume of liquid in the beaker would be 1.45*10^-3, much smaller than the cube...i know this solution must be correct unless anything pops out at u...I am just ata loss as to how such a huge conceptual error could b made...makes me think I am missing something.

ombudsmansect said:
for this to be true the values used for this question must be wrong... quittteeee wrong...
Why is that?
for this to be true the volume of liquid in the beaker would be 1.45*10^-3, much smaller than the cube...
The volume of the cube is 4.7/1.8 = 2.6 times the volume of the liquid in the beaker. So?
i know this solution must be correct unless anything pops out at u...I am just ata loss as to how such a huge conceptual error could b made...makes me think I am missing something.
Had I written the problem, I would not have chosen those values. Nonetheless, there's nothing wrong with them. You are thinking that to 'displace' a given volume of liquid means you must have at least that much liquid to start with. No, that's not what is meant by 'displace'.

Imagine the beaker was empty. Dangle the object into the empty beaker, then pour the liquid around it.

I think for it to be a valid set question the answer should at least be possible. I guess the real answer to this question is 'This is not possible'. How can the cube displace a volume of liquid that is equal to its own volume when there is not that much liquid to begin with? The question specifically states it does this and specifically states all other values that make it impossible. The set parameters do not exist nor can ever exist given the values and cirumstances quoted. Having said this there is a lot wrong with the values. Perhaps u can explain to me how this scenario could ever exist in reality?

ombudsmansect said:
I think for it to be a valid set question the answer should at least be possible. I guess the real answer to this question is 'This is not possible'. How can the cube displace a volume of liquid that is equal to its own volume when there is not that much liquid to begin with? The question specifically states it does this and specifically states all other values that make it impossible. The set parameters do not exist nor can ever exist given the values and cirumstances quoted. Having said this there is a lot wrong with the values. Perhaps u can explain to me how this scenario could ever exist in reality?
There's nothing 'not possible' about this scenario. You just need to understand what "amount of fluid displaced" means when discussing Archimedes' principle and buoyancy.

Example. Imagine the beaker was a cube with sides of length 10 cm. I lower a solid cube with sides of length 9.5 cm into the beaker, dangling it from a string. Now I pour liquid into the beaker, filling it to the top. The amount of water "displaced" by the solid will equal the volume of the solid. That's clearly much greater than the volume of liquid that you had to pour into fill the beaker.

then how can that amount of water be displaced since it does not physically exist in the given scenario. i understand that it does 'displace' the liquid by a certain volume. but it does not displace a certain volume of liquid tht is equal to itself since it is not there. so i think that by displace they mean it in the latter sense unless u can tell me otherwise? please do if u knw it is true but i do not think so so far.

ombudsmansect said:
then how can that amount of water be displaced since it does not physically exist in the given scenario. i understand that it does 'displace' the liquid by a certain volume. but it does not displace a certain volume of liquid tht is equal to itself since it is not there. so i think that by displace they mean it in the latter sense unless u can tell me otherwise? please do if u knw it is true but i do not think so so far.
Think of "displace" as follows. When the object is submerged, the liquid level is at a certain height. If you now remove the object, how much liquid do you have to add to bring the level back to where it was when the object was submerged? That's the amount of liquid displaced.

This is the meaning of "displaced liquid" in Archimedes' principle.

yerrr but the waters not there so the buoyant force is not there so the reading on the scale never happened. if your sure about that meaning then ok. but i reckon the molecules actually have to be there to create the pressure and that those molecules are the ones physically present. i see what u mean however and perhaps u can post a link to a source that verifies this?

ombudsmansect said:
yerrr but the waters not there so the buoyant force is not there so the reading on the scale never happened.
Buoyant force is due to fluid pressure. Fluid pressure depends on the depth of the fluid, not on how much fluid there is.

See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pflu.html#fp"

Last edited by a moderator:
then why is the buoyant force also equal to density*gravity*volume?

being the buoyant force how can these two different methods give the same units. one is by height, the other volume.

ombudsmansect said:
being the buoyant force how can these two different methods give the same units. one is by height, the other volume.
Pressure at some depth below the surface of a fluid is given by ρgh. You can use the pressure surrounding the object to calculate the buoyant force. Archimedes' principle tells us that the answer will equal ρgV.

interesting. thanks for taking the time to explain. it is just hard to picture a skin tight beaker around the cube to accommodate the tiny amount of water present. it annoys me when unrealistic diagrams accompany a question.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle is a physical law that states that the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is used to explain why objects float or sink in a fluid.

2. How does Archimedes Principle apply to a hanging block?

When a block is hanging from a string, it is partially submerged in air and partially submerged in the fluid of the atmosphere. The weight of the block is equal to the weight of the air it displaces, and according to Archimedes Principle, the buoyant force acting on the block is equal to the weight of the air it displaces. This explains why the block remains suspended in the air.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force on a hanging block?

The buoyant force on a hanging block is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the depth at which the object is submerged. The denser the fluid, the greater the buoyant force. The greater the volume of the object, the greater the buoyant force. And the deeper the object is submerged, the greater the buoyant force.

4. Can Archimedes Principle be used to calculate the weight of a hanging block?

No, Archimedes Principle does not provide a direct way to calculate the weight of a hanging block. However, it can be used to determine the density of the block by measuring its weight and the buoyant force acting on it. This can then be used to calculate the weight of the block using the formula weight = density x volume x gravity.

5. How is Archimedes Principle applied in real life?

Archimedes Principle is applied in various fields, such as shipbuilding, aviation, and even in everyday objects like boats and hot air balloons. It is also used in scientific experiments and in understanding the behavior of fluids. For example, it explains why ice cubes float in water and why helium balloons rise in air.