ArcSin[2] {previously asked by a member}

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of ArcSin[2] and the attempt at solving it using the inverse function of sine in exponential form. The equation used to solve it is \arcsin z = -i \log_e ( iz+ \sqrt{1-z^2}). The conversation concludes by confirming that this formula is correct and yields the correct answer.
rohanprabhu

Homework Statement

Find the value of ArcSin[2].

NOTE: This question was asked in: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=226670 I made a new thread since I wasn't sure about my solution and didn't want to confuse the OP or anybody else.

Homework Equations

[tex]
e^{i \theta} = \cos{(\theta)} + i \sin{(\theta)}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let,

[tex]
ArcSin[2] = k
[/tex]

Then,

[tex]
Sin[k] = 2
[/tex]

Let,

[tex]
\lambda = \cos{(k)} + i \sin{(k)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sin{(k)} = \frac{\lambda - \sqrt{1 - \sin(k)^2}}{i}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sin{(k)} = \frac{\lambda - \sqrt{1 - (2)^2}}{i}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sin{(k)} = \frac{\lambda - \sqrt{3}i}{i}
[/tex]

[tex]
2 = \frac{e^{ik}}{i} - \sqrt{3}
[/tex]

[tex]
e^{ik} = i(2 + \sqrt{3})
[/tex]

[tex]
k = \frac{1}{i} log_e(i(2 + \sqrt{3}))
[/tex]

[tex]
k = -i log_e(i(2 + \sqrt{3}))
[/tex]

My question is.. is this the right way to do it? Or.. all the assumptions that I've taken.. are they correct?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems fine to me. When finding the inverse function of sine in exponential form, we get
[tex]\arcsin z = -i \log_e ( iz+ \sqrt{1-z^2})[/tex] and plugging z=2 there gets us the answer.

Gib Z said:
Seems fine to me. When finding the inverse function of sine in exponential form, we get
[tex]\arcsin z = -i \log_e ( iz+ \sqrt{1-z^2})[/tex] and plugging z=2 there gets us the answer.

thanks.. i didn't know there was a formula like this. :D

1. What is ArcSin[2]?

ArcSin[2] is a mathematical function that represents the inverse sine of the number 2. In other words, it is the angle whose sine is equal to 2.

2. How do you calculate ArcSin[2]?

To calculate ArcSin[2], you can use a scientific calculator or a mathematical formula. The formula is: ArcSin[2] = sin^-1(2) = 1.5708 radians or 90 degrees.

3. What is the range of ArcSin[2]?

The range of ArcSin[2] is from -π/2 to π/2, which is approximately -1.5708 to 1.5708 radians or -90 to 90 degrees.

4. What are the real-life applications of ArcSin[2]?

ArcSin[2] is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry to find the angle in a right triangle when the opposite side is 2 units and the hypotenuse is 1 unit. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate the angle of an object's motion or the angle of inclination in a structure.

5. Can ArcSin[2] have multiple values?

No, ArcSin[2] can only have one value within its range. However, there are other values that can have the same sine of 2, such as 1.5708 radians or 90 degrees.